Chapter 5: The Road to Death Mountain

Impa brought Link out to Hyrule field in front of the city

Impa brought Link out to Hyrule field in front of the city. She stopped Link at the end of the drawbridge and pointed to a mountain on the eastern horizon. There was a heavy ring of smoke that circled the mountain's peak.

"You brave lad," she began. "We must protect this beautiful land of Hyrule! Take a good look at that mountain. That's Death Mountain, home of the Gorons. They hold the Spiritual Stone of Fire."

Link stepped forward, looking at the smoke and wondering what a Goron was.

"At the foot of Death Mountain you will find my village, Kakariko," Impa continued. "That is where I was born and raised. You should talk to some of the villagers there before you go up Death Mountain."

"Go up that mountain!?" Link exclaimed.

Impa took a step back. Not fearfully, though, more like she was just going to start walking away. "The song I just taught you has some mysterious power. Only Royal Family members are allowed to learn this song. Remember, it will help to prove your connection with the Royal Family. The Princess is waiting for you to return to the castle with the stones." She gave him a thumbs up and took a few more steps back. "All right. We're counting on you!"

Before Link could ask any more questions, Impa threw a pellet at the ground. There was a blast of blinding light and then Impa was gone.

"Wha... what?" Link mumbled.

Navi saw the lost look on Link's face and patted his shoulder. "What would Saria say if we told her we're going to save Hyrule?" she asked, trying to sound as cheerful as always.

"She'd either yell at me to stay home where it's safe," Link sighed, half smiling. "Or... she'd yell at me to hurry up and do my best."

"I guess," Navi nodded. "So, we go to Kakariko?"

Link took a step towards the mountain, but looked south, back towards the forest and Lon Lon Ranch. "I didn't see that girl in town," Link said. "Malon. I wonder if her father got home."

"We could check up on them," Navi suggested. "It's not far, right?"

"Yeah," Link nodded. He changed course and set out for the Ranch.

___

By the time they arrived at the Ranch, the sun had already begun to set. It was the last hour of twilight now as Link walked through the gate. The wind carried the faint sound of humming, coming from the fenced-in field.

Link followed that sound of humming, and found Malon sitting out in the field petting the horses.

"Hi!" Link smiled.

"Oh, it's the fairy boy again!" Malon joked, standing. "I heard you found my dad! How did you like the castle? Did you see the princess? Hee hee!"

"Yeah I met the princess," Link said smugly. "I was just on my way out of town when I thought I'd pass by to see if your father made it home okay."