Chapter 3 - A Spurious Intention Pt. 4

“It’s gone...” the Decidueye voiced out, her tone defeated and pained, her shoulders slumped as her eyes began to tear up. Salvo and Adron was still standing near the entrance, looking inside with the Decidueye’s back facing them, close enough to just barely hear what she said. She would occasionally hiccup, followed by a quick inhale or two, and a slow exhale ensuing afterwards. At that point, it was becoming clear that she was sobbing. Salvo and Adron looked at each other, letting a few seconds pass to share a glance before both simultaneously look back at the female. Adron then took a step forward, starting a slow walk towards her with Salvo following close behind him. Upon reaching her, he raised his left front paw, putting it on one of her wings with a sympathetic look on his face.

Without saying a word, the simple silent gesture made the Decidueye more hysterical, a flow of tears trailing down her eyes as she began silently crying, with Adron keeping his paw on her while Salvo watched with just as much sympathy. The Raboot felt guilt more than anything with a side of anger, still in disbelief he let himself get fooled so easily. Adron kept his paw on her for a while, letting her cry as his view pans over to the hay bed she went to check. It was circular, with slight curves on the edges, making it look somewhat like a bowl. Adron’s eyes widens slightly as he recognizes what it is, his stomach going into knots from the sudden revelation.

Her eggs... that’s what she was protecting... The Poochyena thought, his view going back to her with a much more sympathetic look. As the Decidueye’s emotional outbreak came to a slow halt, Adron removed his paw off of her, gently putting it back on the ground, his gaze staying at her for a few more seconds before he turned and started heading out the cave.

“Adron? What are you doing?” the Raboot asked as his friend passed him, turning his torso slightly so that he can keep his eyes on Adron as he walks out of the cave. Adron didn’t answer, and instead kept walking until he was out of the cave where the fight from earlier happened, making Salvo all the more curious. Once Adron had reached out of the cave, he went low, bending his front knees to get his muzzle closer to the ground while he closed his eyes. One, two, three rapid and short inhales, Adron took a brief pause before standing tall again, turning to look inside the cave, but more specifically, at the Decidueye.

“Decidueye!” he called, getting both Salvo and the female’s attention, the two looking at him. “We still have some hope. I can track their scent and if we start chasing them now, we might be able to save your eggs.” Adron relayed his plan as he slowly walks back in, nearing the Decidueye who was reasonably hesitant about it. She looked away upon Adron reaching her, the canine now standing right in front of her.

“I-I’m unsure... it’s been quite some time since we-“ Adron suddenly grabbed her left wing, abruptly ending the Decidueye’s train of thought and made her view snap at his direction. Her eyes widen slightly, her pupils shrinking a small amount, as the dark-type gave the same exact look he gave the Absol earlier; lightly furrowed brow, wide eyes, and an expression of unwavering will. It wasn’t a wonder now how Aldrich had a quick change of heart, the canine knew what he was doing and it shows. She closed her eyes, taking a deep breath, letting a brief silence fall between them before nodding, her eyelids rising back up. “Thank you, Adron.” Adron smiled, nodding before he lets go of her wing. “Come on. We mustn’t waste time.” The Decidueye then spread her wings wide and flew out of the cave, while Adron went over to Salvo who looked astounded.

Salvo’s view on the quadruped suddenly changed, amazed by what he just witnessed. Up until this moment, Salvo had always just considered the canine to be a lovable goof, but seeing what he did just now, it almost felt like a sudden surge of respect was bestowed onto the dark-type. Adron... perhaps you’re more special than I initially thought. Salvo then smiled at Adron, stepping aside and nodding. “Lead the way.” The canine’s eyes practically beamed upon his friend’s approval, gaining a newfound confidence in himself before nodding back, turning his head to face the exit as he rushed out with his friend behind him.