Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

BeiJing, 2008

Crawling up once again in my bed and curled myself into a ball while I hid myself under the sheets. This has been my daily routine for the past 13 years of my existence. I am 14 years old and I am so washed up. This is not what I literally signed for. Modeling. Modeling a work line at the age of 12 is not something that should be done it is literally killing all of my time. I want to just sign out but I just can’t, it opened up the doors to other opportunities that I never imagine that I would have.

“Jei!” My mom shouted again. I groaned and threw my pillows at my door, but regretted doing it later, one of my pillows accidentally flew at my mom’s face causing her to give me a glare.

“Mom, will you please stop calling me Jei?..It’s Jin.. Capital J-i-n.” I said as I started picking up the pillows and arranged it on top of my bed.

“ok capital J-i-n, your phone has been ringing non-stop. And please you were the one who told me to call you Jei because it sounds cooler than Jin.” Mom said in a matter of fact tone.

“That was like, 2 years ago.”

“The agency called.” Mom started to be serious and sat down on my bed, “Are you sure about this? I mean…you’re too young and…”

“Mom, I know ok, I’ll still go to school and finish everything up so that if everything fails there I still have a job to go back to.”

“Where did you get this ‘I am a mature person’ idea from?” She hugged me tight and kissed my forehead. “Just come home if you’re tired.”

I gave her a soft nod as a response and quickly took the call. Everything was planned from the very start, me entering the modeling business and signing up for another contract, I planned it all, I told myself that I need to be familiar with being exposed to the camera before I start training to be an idol.

A week later: 1:00 am KST

The airport was not jammed pack as I thought it will be, I pulled half dragged my luggage across the floor just to reach for a cab which I miraculously did. I went to Korea for a photoshoot for a local fashion line with the permit of my dad who failed once again to fetch me at the airport. He might have dozed off again in his office. Arriving in my dad’s office I was greeted with a overly familiar guard who was smiling from ear to ear and led me to my dad’s office. And I was right, my dad was snoring above a pile of paper works while his laptop is still turned on. I didn’t have the heart to wake him up so I just allowed him to sleep as I connected my smartphone to his internet which required a password. And it’s so typical of him to use my name as his wifi’s password.

As I opened my facebook account messages came flooding in. But there was one message that surprised me the most. A girl named Shin Hae Hee which is just about my age suddenly asked me if I am Korean or Chinese and asking if I am an ulzzang. I answered with neither and no. We began talking about random stuffs and got carried away as we started to form a group chat with 3 other girls, I really prefer to speak to people who does not know who I am and what I do for a living since I can just be myself and freely express what I really feel. Park Nam Eun, Seo Yeon Young and Han Ai Tae, these three is equally crazy as Shin and I am but they really have this distinct personality. Chatting with them everyday felt like it was normal.

Summer 2009.

Love Call or Interview call. I flew back to Korea for the so called ‘interview’ and ended up signing for a 10 year contract with my parent’s approval of course. But flying back to BeiJing was not one of my plans especially when I have only stayed in Seoul for like 2 days prior to the interview. People was going around and buzzing about the audition of the same company that hired me today. Everyone of them seemed so excited about the audition and is preparing themselves each with a talent at hand while I on the other hand just showed up without any preparations at all. The company contacted me when I was just modeling for  a local fashion line in both China and Korea and they just signed me up telling me that they’ll hone my skills from modeling to an all-rounder.