An Idea

"So what do you think is with the kid only breaking into one office?" Lenore asks, taking a sip from her drink.

Classes begin on Monday and we've taken the last month to simply get to know each other platonically. Of course, there is the occasional hand brush, comment, or look that is difficult to ignore. But we are doing well. I think the most difficult part is that I have kissed her and any time I see her I want to experience that feeling all over again. However, I restrict myself and tell myself it's only eight months.

Not that long right?

I grab a fry from the basket and take a bite. I form a face indicating I am thinking and shrug my shoulders. I am trying to hide it, but we haven't spoken about that night. Not the date, not the moment at the plaza, not going to the English building, not the revelation, and not the time after. We have had this unspoken agreement. But then we start talking about this crime series we've been watching together and she brings it up.

We have been able to maintain and strict platonic friendship.

"I've been meaning to talk to Mark about it. There's something there, but there's a reason I went into teaching English rather than crime. The most I can do in that is my knowledge from Brooklyn Nine-Nine."

She laughs at my joke and I smile. I've never thought I was very funny, definitely not capable of becoming a comedian. But it's reassuring to know I am capable of telling a joke here and there.

"I like crime novels and tv shows..." she states, taking a fry into her mouth. "Maybe he is Mark's secret son from a love affair years ago. Or, oh! An undercover spy from another country that came to figure out information about him because he is in the CIA but Dean of the school of English Arts at a small university is a good cover."

"As much as that second option sounds like a great movie, I don't think that's it."

"Well you never know. I'd love for that option to be true. Anyways, I'm going to the restroom real quick."

I nod my head, but as soon as she walks away, Rhonda slips into the, for a short time, empty seat.

"Now Cora," she looks intently in my eyes. A look that I know all too well from years of being lectured by her. Of course, all with a good heart. "When are you going to ask that girl out? We don't care that she's young. You know that my sister and her husband have an age gap and-"

"Aunt Rhonda, I love the concern. And yes, Lenore and I both do have romantic feelings for each other. We have recognized that, but after only a week of knowing each other, a certain situation came up and we decided to explore a platonic relationship until that situation is no longer a barrier."

"Huh..." She raises an eyebrow. "Hon, you're going to have to give me more or I will be doing something."

I huff. "Rhonda..."

"Cora..." She speaks in the tone that has terrified me for decades.

"Lenore will be in two of my classes this semester and possibly one or more next semester. We found that out a week after we met and went on a date."

"Oh you both went on a date?" She squeals and leans forward, resting her chin on her hands. "Tell me about it."

"Well not much happened, we went to the restaurant which had a wait. So I took her to this little area by the school and then Mel called me saying the English building was broken into-"

"And then I told her I was going to be a student of hers." Lenore interrupts, smiling. She lightly nudges me to scoot over in the booth and I do. She sits next to me and Rhonda's smile grows even more.