Movie Theatre Romance: A Short Story

Feel free to leave comments with suggestions, critiques, or simply to say you like it! Happy reading :)

*******************************************************************************************

I'm looking for ways to say no. Looking for anything to get me out of this. Nothing. That's what I found; nothing. I wouldn't be doing the homework I could blame it on, and I don't feel like feeling guilty all night. I feel fine, couldn't even fake being sick if I wanted to. She had asked me at the very last minute though. She knows I need at least 2 hours to mentally prep for this sort of thing. I hate when she does this. It's not like I can just drop all this nothing I'm doing.

Alright, so maybe I need this. Maybe I'll go and have a great time and we'll go back to how we were last year. But maybe we won't, and I really hate those odds. Fine. I text her that I'm going and head to my closet to change back into jeans. I pass a mirror on my way. My hair is dirty. I know she's going to look like a movie star. Oh well, can't fix it now, the movie starts in 25 and I live 20 minutes away. I brush it out and hope for the best.

As soon as I walk into the building, I spot her. Just as I expected, she's wearing a beret, elegant makeup with tiny plastic jewels lining her black eyeliner, and a fluffy fur coat. Then there's me, with dirty hair, wearing a baggy sweatshirt and the dog-hair-covered leggings I chose to stay in due to my need for comfort. Whatever. I have nobody to look good for anyway. Plus, it'll be dark... once we get out of this crowded lobby and the long line to get candy.

Our conversation is lacking, to say the least. We don't talk unless she's commenting on the fact that she works here. "You parked by the side door, right? We will use it to exit at the end of the movie- it'll be faster." To walk to the other end of the building, past the main entrance? Ok, sure. "The butter machine is hard to refill." Good to know. "Michael, hurry up, I trained you better than this." Do you really have to yell that with three people still in front of us in line? I know it's how her parents raised her, but why does she always have to be so damn fake? Just chill. I remind myself that this is a free movie that I get to see on opening night with a friend I once considered to be my best. Don't be such a downer.

Once we get our popcorn and candy, she leads us to our theatre, but not without having the lady that's sweeping the floor hold her popcorn so she can grab her phone out of her bag for the tickets. I let out an airy laugh at that. We sit down and she is quick to notice the guy sitting one seat away from her. She points him out to me in Sign Language, like I taught her.

He is gorgeous. The first thing I see is his dimples. Holy moly, those dimples. He has black hair that is at just the right length- the perfect mix between Justin Bieber in 2010 and 2012, flipping out just over his forehead. He has dark brown eyes and a nice build. He's wearing jeans, a t-shirt, a flannel, and a think brown jacket. Sometimes I forget that guys like him exist outside of the books I read, especially in this small town we live in where the only things to do are go to trampoline parks, arcades, putt-putt, or the movies. Unless you're me, then Walmart and Sonic are decent excursions. Maybe the movies aren't so bad after all.

I look at my friend and remember what I look like in comparison. I hate the movies. I turn my head to the screen and watch the trailers. Why do they play these? Why? Why did I rush here to see this? I literally jumped out of my warm, cozy bed. I look over and see him on his phone. Then my friend offers me popcorn. I look back at the screen. She and I engage in some small talk, and it feels somewhat like how it used to. The movie starts. She and I both talk through movies. She makes a joke and I laugh. The boy looks over with a small smile. My heart jumps as I return my own. I look back at the screen. He was probably laughing at her joke. She's hilarious. Guys like pretty and funny girls. The movie continues. It's good. I lean in at a good part and as I fall back into my seat, I see him doing the same. We sit the same, too. I focus on the movie. I laugh at a funny part and unconsciously look at him. His eyes suddenly meet mine. For a moment, it's just us: smiling at each other in a silent, yet loud, empty, yet full room. It's only a moment but I know I'll remember it for years. I turn back to the movie.

It's a long movie. My friend leans over toward the end and tells me that the guy has been looking at me. I clarify that he's looking at me, not her, but me. She nods and I smile. The movie goes on. I say a silent prayer. I want to say hi as we walk out after the movie. I watch the movie. It ends. We all get up and begin to walk out. I hear people in line behind me as I lead us to the door. I make a slight right turn to throw away my drink and glance back toward the exit. There he is, standing next to the door. He's waiting for his grandfather to catch up. Oh yeah, he went to the movie with his grandfather. I smile but let my friend pull me past him. We walk past the front entrance where everyone is exiting and past the concessions, through the other hallway of theatres to the side door, where our cars are parked in an empty employees' lot. Just like that, we get in our cars and leave. Though, not without your typical pleasantries, of course: "I had so much fun, thank you so much for coming, we need to do this again sometime, well get home safe." As I drive home, I think about the boy with the dimples. It's funny how a few glances in one's direction can make a lonely heart smile.

*******************************************************************************************

I hope you enjoyed my short story! Please message me with any questions, comments, suggestions, etc. I love getting feedback! Be sure to "vote" on this if you liked it and comment!! 

- Catherine Taylor