Chapter 1

Winnipeg, MB, 12:28pm, Hadrick Residence

Hailey shook her head awake. 'Gah! I dont wanna go to school today' She looked at her clock. I sat at my everyday perch, and watched her jump awake at the realization that she already late for the morning. "Late" is an understatement. She missed it. She slept through all her morning classes. Oh well, no Science with the cute boy Kristofer. She sighed, then finished her hair. Her blue eyes really did resemble her mothers. Her true mother, not Mrs Hadrick. Soon, soon she shall know who her mother truely is. Mrs and Mr Hadrick are nice, yes, they are quite nice. Innocent, too. If I dont take Hailey soon, though, they will be history. Just 2 dead bodies in the graveyard, no one ever knowing what happened to them. I would probably have to make it look as though they were robbed, then murdered. Its a sad life, you know? Having to follow one child until tthey reach the designated age, and then making sure no one knows what or who they truely are.

There were few people who I actually... missed. I couldnt get myself to them, just not in time. They are now evil, using their powers for the evil in the world. They dont use their power for good. They use it for killing animals, yes Humans count as animals. They just... I dont feel like speaking of this. Either way, lets follow Gina.

She walks out, stumbling as she runs swiftly. Maybe I should.... introduce myself. I morph into the human form I obtain. My black feathers turn into beige, smooth skin. I shiver at the disgust I feel in this form. In fact, this form should have been dead by now. Stupid immortality. I walk down the street. Time to drag her into the mystical, magical world she was meant to be in.

She runs into me, and I stagger backwards. She says ''Sorry, I-I dont know w-what I was th-thinking!" I smile, then my eyes turn to a dark red. "Honey, you shouldnt be sorry. By running into me, you can finally start your journey!" She looks confused."Um, I think you have the wrong person." I shake my head slowly."No, Hailey Hadrick, I do not have the wrong person. Ever notice how when your angry, then people just run away, or a flame suddenly errupts near by?" She looks completely startled. "Uhm, well, yes. Yes, that is completely accurate." I smile even more widely. "You're just the right age now, too." She looked like she was completely taken aback. "Sir, I dont know who you are, or why you're here, but I am not built for any sort of journey."

I laughed loudly. "Oh, dear, I was once a scrawny, teenaged boy who couldnt hurt a fly. But now, now I am embrace journeys, and I fight demons! But, I am not bragging. I need your help. I know this is going to sound very... creepy, but I have been watching you for a couple months." She started laughing very excitedly. "Where you that bastardly crow that evry morning woke me up on time?" I chuckled, and nodded slightly. "Its nice to know I am a Bastardly Crow. Well, at least you were on time, right?" She glared at me, then started giggling. "I was 25 minutes early. Whats your name, anyway?" I stood. She asked the question I had dreaded. "My name is Jack." She opened her mouth, and stuck her hand out as to introduce herself, but then she quickly pulled it back in. "You already know my name, dont you? Yes, following a girl around for several months is quite odd, Jack. Quite odd." I smiled. "Its odd, yes, but it is my job, dont forget." She laughed, and I couldnt help but join in.

We walked and chatted, and then, as we reached her high school, she said "Im afraid this is goodbye, Jack." I laughed outright. "Didnt you recognize me? I am Jack Springstien! I am your fellow student." She blinked. "Oh! Well, your in my homeroom, right?" I nodded. "And all your other classes!" She looked completely confused. I chuckled. "Yes. Well. Lets go, then!" As we walked by, I felt a familiar splash! and then I felt the coldness on the back of my legs. I turned around. "Hey you little loser!" I closed my eyes, and then I spoke.

"Hello, Max."