Famous Last Words

Victor was gone from the Manor. Koutali looked everywhere for him, but only found Admiral laying in the rafters in the workshop.

"Where is he?" Koutali demanded.

"You know damn well where he went, spoon-boy." Admiral snapped. Koutali knew it was inevitable, but he had still hoped he would be able to talk Victor out of it.

Quickly, he hurried to his room and grabbed his car keys from his dresser, then headed for the Manor's front door before pausing. He might need something to defend himself. Taking a detour down a hallway, he headed down the residence wing and stopped at Captain's room, where Captain sat reading a book.

"Captain."

"What is it?" the old robot replied, not looking up.

"I need to borrow your revolver."

That got Captain's attention.

"What in the seven seas could you possibly need my revolver for?"

"Just let me know if I can use it! I can explain later. This is time sensitive."

Captain thought for a moment, grumbling a bit before pulling the gun from his belt and setting it on the desk.

"As long as it returns in one piece."

"Thank you." Koutali breathed, then grabbed the revolver and tucked it into his belt before hurrying out to the Manor parking lot and getting into his car. He still had time. Hopefully.

He started the car and drove off, putting his seatbelt on when he pulled out onto the main road. Victor was never one to think irrationally, but when he was set on something, there was nothing that anybody could do to stop him. That was what made him dangerous, more than his fangs or his intelligence. Koutali was exceeding the speed limit, but he really didn't care, keeping an eye on the rear view mirrors in case he was caught.

The desert sped past him as he finally slowed a bit the closer to town he got, turning sharply in the direction of Lisa's house. Maybe he'd pass Victor on the road. That'd be something. Koutali's mind went a mile a minute. If Lisa died, so did he. Nobody knew how he worked quite as well, and her notes were a complete mess. There was no way anybody could pick up her slack. He glanced down at the gun, which he'd put on the passenger seat.

He only prayed he didn't have to fire it.

Victor opened the door to Lisa's house and stormed his way inside. It was tonight he would get his retribution, it was tonight he would be able to bring justice to everything Lisa had done to him. The rat poison. The fangs. The starvation. All of it. Koutali didn't matter to him in that moment. He was going to get what he deserved.

"LISA!" he shouted. Surprised, she ran into the room, appearing to be in the middle of her latest taxidermy project.

"Victor? What are you doing here? I haven't seen you in at least ten years!" she said upon seeing him, that same too-wide grin on her face.

"Do not act friendly with me." he said, clenching his fists. Lisa's smile faltered.

"What are you talking about? It has been more than ten years! Have a seat at the table, I'll make you some tea. Green, with sugar and honey in it, right?"

Victor's expression didn't change. She pursed her lips and brushed a few strands of hair from her face, shifting her weight between her feet.

"I'll, uh, get the kettle ready." she said, turning toward the cupboard.

"You will do no such thing." Victor replied, and when she looked back at him, he was directly behind her. She jolted a bit. "You have brought enough pain and suffering into this world."

Lisa swallowed.

"Victor, it's all in the name of science! You're an engineer, a roboticist! Surely you understand where I'm coming from. It's just a different kind of engineering! You're just mad at me for tinkering around just like any other engineer does."

"I'm upset with you for trying to play the role of a cruel god." Victor snapped.

"Damn it, I should have put Koutali down ages ago! I thought there was promise to be found in it, but now I just have a vampire knocking down my door despite having a hand in what I did. I'm not the only one responsible for this, Victor!" Lisa shot back. "You don't understand me, and you don't understand my work. Who's going to take care of Koutali if you kill me? You? Someone that's just reckless and inexperienced?"

"I am far from reckless, Lisa." he replied, then grabbed onto her shoulders.

She fought against his grip, but she was far too small, and he was much stronger than he was right after she'd starved him. He opened his mouth, fangs bared, and pulled her head to the side to sink his teeth into her neck just as the door opened.

"Let go of her!" came a voice. Over Victor's shoulder, Lisa saw Koutali standing there with a gun in his hands. Victor didn't seem to listen.

Koutali's hands shook just as they had before when he was ordered to kill another man back when he was just a teenager. Once again he could see Mr. De Rossi's head scattered in bits across the walls and floor. Despite his hands shaking, he felt the same determination and confidence he had then. He had to stand up for himself and for Lisa.

"Victor! Let her go!" he ordered again. Koutali didn't wait. He clicked the hammer back and just as Victor's fangs grazed the surface of Lisa's skin, he fired. Once. Twice. Three times. Victor immediately let go of Lisa and howled in pain, blood welling up in three different places on his back. Koutali didn't lower the gun when Victor turned around, his face twisted in agony.

"Leave. Now." Koutali spat. Victor coughed a bit, spitting blood onto the floor.

"I was doing this for you."