2.9

"Two birds, one stone," Deb says, advancing on us. We start backing up. "Oh, Mickey was a good boy, but, my God, that whole blame-the-movies motive. Did you but that for one second? Poor boy was completely out of his mind."

"But you're completely sane," I say sarcastically as she kicks Mickey's side.

"Yes, I'm very sane." She bends down and picks up the gun. "My motive isn't at 90s as Mickey's. Mine is just good old fashioned revenge." She turns her attention to Sid. "You killed my son! And now I kill you. And I can't think of anything more rational."

"You didn't care about him," I say, making her turn to me.

"Yes, I did!"

"You're never gonna get away with this," Sid says.

"Of course I will. Everything is tracible back to Mickey. Including the cop gun he used to kill everybody." Nancy gets out a rag and starts to wipe the handle of one of the guns.

"But let's just suppose that you had gotten hold of the other cop's gun. And you two chased Mickey around. And there was a big shoot-out and a big scuffle. And Sidney shot Mickey, killed Mickey dead." She toss the gun onto the stage somewhere. "And then, without realizing it, you both shot each other. Okay, so, have I covered everything? Are there any questions? Any comments? You know what though? Who gives a flying fuck anyway?"

Sid and I both duck out of the way when she puts both hands on the gun and her voice raises. We stop running and turn back to her. "Let them try and track down the second possible killer. Debbie Salt doesn't exist."

"You're as crazy as your son was," Sid says.

"What did you just say?" Deb asks, tilting her head a little. "Was that a negative, disparaging remark about my son? About my Billy?"

I shake my head. "No, Billy was a good boy. He was a great boyfriend too. Despite the manipulative aspects. He was amazing. He was perfect. You did a bang up job, Mrs. Loomis."

"It's not wise to patronize a woman with a gun, Diana." She puts the gun barrel under my chin. "Randy spoke poorly of Billy, and I got a little knife happy."

I shake my head again. "No, no, no, Mrs. Loomis. I love your son, that's how amazing he was. I fell in love with a psychopath, and I never got up."

She chuckles. "I was a good mother. You know what makes me sick? I am sick to death of people saying that it's all the parents' fault. That is all starts with the family. You wanna blame someone?"

She turns to Sidney and points the gun to her temple. "Why don't you blame your mother? She's the one who stole my husband and broke up my family."

She turns back to me again, pointing the gun at my forehead. "And then you took my son!" She steps away, pointing the gun between us. "You don't know what it is to be a mother. To raise a child...to teach him...to guide him."

"And abandon him," I put in.

"Isn't Mickey supposed to be dead?" Sid asks. Deb turns around, so Sid takes the opportunity to smash a glass over her head before grabbing my hand and running.

We get through the plywood door and put a piece of wood over the handle so it locks it. She starts shooting, and we have to duck and move around to avoid getting shot. After a moment, she starts banging on the door.

I run over to a glass case with an axe in it. I smash the glass with my elbow before grabbing the axe. "I'm about to go The Shining on your ass!" I start cutting down the ropes near us, hearing the props come down outside the wooden wall.

Sid runs to the lights and starts making the lightning and thunder before Deb starts shooting at her. I keep cutting ropes until I hear a scream.

We look down towards an exit, sharing a quick glance before we start walking towards it. But we're stopped when Deb jumps through the paper backing and starts screaming, slashing the knife around. Sid grabs her and punches her, making her stumble to the side.