5

Once we finish our small meal, we continue through the market, fingers laced, as she takes me from shop to shop, getting the things she needs. I continue to pay for things but she's started to have her money ready before we even get to the counters hindering my opportunity to do so.

We pass a dress shop and I watch her reflection in the window as she stares at a particular dress within.

It's emerald green, with gold swirling along the hem and bodice, creating intricate designs. The bodice is corset styled with the lacing in the front. Matching elbow length, fingerless gloves complete the look.

"Do you like it?" I ask her.

"I could never afford it," she smiles softly, still looking at the dress.

"That's not what I asked," I chuckle.

She looks to me with a smile.

"Yes, I like it," she says gently.

"It would look stunning on you," I look back to he dress, "and it would be perfect for the gala."

"Oh I'm sure it would," she grins, "too bad I haven't yet given you an answer."

I chuckle.

Cheeky woman.

"Indeed," I grin back.

We continue on our way, finishing her shopping.

"To your home now?" I ask as she places the final item in her basket.

"Oh um," she hesitates, "actually, you should get back to the King, I can manager my way home."

She smiles to me but I can see the nervous worry in her eyes.

"Is something wrong, Love?" I stop in front of her.

"No it's just," she sighs looking down to her feet, "mother doesn't want me to spend my time with you. She doesn't like noblemen."

She looks up at me through her lashes, seeming to be trying to apologize with her eyes.

"It's alright, Love," I smile and kiss her forehead, "I'll see you tomorrow."

"You will?"

"Of course," I chuckle, "I have to ask you to the gala."

She smiles brightly and my heart swells.

"Then I'll see you tomorrow," she stands on her toes and presses a kiss to my cheek before heading on her way home.

I touch my cheek, the feeling of her lips still there, and continue to smile as I look after her. I watch as she turns around to look at me again with a bright smile before turning back around and hurrying off, getting lost from my sight in the sea of people.

My smile widens as I turn to head to my castle.

I turn a corner, getting away from prying eyes and vanish to my quarters, my illusion falling away at the same moment.

"You seem happy."

I nearly jump out of my skin as I turn to mother.

"It's that girl, isn't it?" She grins.

"Yes," I heave a breath to calm my heart, "I haven't felt like this in a long time."

"Is she your number?"

"I can't be certain, she refused to let me see her number," I say as I look down at the zero on my arm, "but I don't care if she isn't. She's perfect. Kind, whity, talented. Even if she can't give me an heir," I look back up at her, "I want her."