Chapter Two: False Mates

Something to be very aware of is false mates. This actually happens more often than people might think. There are times when a creature will find a false mate. The reason why it is rather confused with true mates is because the creature shows the same symptoms as they would with their true mate, but at a very less extreme level. The more time they spend with their false mate, the weaker they get. As when they are with their true mate, their power will increase and strengthen. They will start off with a couch but that cough will worsen as time goes on. They then start to vomit and cough up blood due to not being with their true mate. They will also develop a very high fever, even creatures who have a high body temperature. They will be vomiting so much, they won't be able to keep any food down to keep themselves alive. There are some cases where a creature can die from being with a false mate.

But that is only the worst case, usually as time goes on the creature is able to detect that the "mate" they are with at the time is not their true mate. Their way of detecting is by their true mate's scent. A mate's scent is the only way a creature can be saved from their false mate. Now it is important to note that a false mate can be a current partner the creature has or a mate they believe is their true mate due to past involvement or unaware feelings for their true mate. Having a false mate is no one's fault. It is just simply a small confusion that is very common due to emotions that the creatures have for their mate.

Now a true mate will have the craving for their mate's magic. For example, a water dragon's mate will crave the need for water. If two creatures are mates they will crave one another's magic and element. But in most cases with a creature's mate, the human mate will only be the one to crave the creature's magic. When the creature finds their true mate, they will gain the ability to telepathically speak with them and have a strong sense of their mate's body. If the mate is injured, the creature will feel the pain of their mate and vice versa.