The Hotel Guest Part 6

After they finished, they got up and left the restaurant. Gena drove Lisa back to the hotel and dropped her off. Do you need some help inside asked Gena? I'm okay replied Lisa. You have a good night, dear. I'll see you in the morning said Lisa. Gena pulled off. Lisa went inside the hotel and up to her room. She was so thrilled with how her day went. She got comfortable and watched some television. There was a call on the phone. It was Kendrick just making sure she knew what time the funeral was. She told him that she knew. He asked her was she okay after seeing the body. Lisa told him that she was and thanked him for everything he done. She told him that she knew that Mike would be smiling down from above for everything he done. This hit Kendrick in the heart. Thank you so much for saying that he said. It really made me feel great to hear that. You deserve to know the truth said Lisa. He asked her was she sure that she didn't want to ride in the family limo with him. Lisa told him that she had a ride. They talked of memories of Mike and got off the phone. Lisa started back watching television and fail asleep. The next morning Gena called her and woke her up. She wanted to make sure that Lisa was on time for her husband's funeral. Gena could remember how everyone was looking at them so she had to make sure Lisa wasn't late. Lisa got up and started to get ready. I know he would like this outfit said Lisa. She didn't dress in black for the funeral. She decided to wear a color that Mike considered one of his favorites. That color was gray. She felt like that would be a great way to honor him. Gena called her and let her know that she was in the parking lot waiting on her. Before leaving out the room Lisa sent a prayer to God that the day would go fine. She got into the car with Gena. How are you doing this morning Gena, asked Lisa? I'm doing much better dear said Lisa. Gena drove off. It was time for Lisa to face the last time she would see her husband. She inhaled deeply while listening to Gena talk about the boys. They pulled up at the funeral at it was packed. Okay here we go said Gena. She looked at Lisa and asked her, are you ready. Lisa told her yes and they got out the car. Walking towards the door Lisa was getting nervous. She had to stand tall for Mike. She walked inside and everybody was staring at her. She went to the front to the family bench and sat down beside Kendrick and his family. Lisa looked around for Gena but she was in the back. Lisa got up and walked to the back and got Gena to sit with her. They made it back to the front together. Kendrick looked at Lisa and smiled. He then whispered in her ear that she couldn't sit there. Lisa then smiled at him and said, you might've put this together but it was our money that paid for it. Kendrick sat back and didn't say another word. The eulogy was given by her family pastor. When they got to the part with her poem she got up and read it. Before reading it, she said my husband was always a kind guy. He believed that everyone should just get alone. No matter the shape, color, size, height, or race, he always prayed for togetherness. I know most of us got very long ways to go and steep hills to climb, but I pray that it can start here with these words that's being spoken. What most people don't understand I can hope they consider it at heart. Lisa then read the poem her and Mike wrote together. Afterwards she turned away and sat down. It came time for everyone to view the body one last time. She walked up to the casket and kissed her hands and placed them on his cheek. I'll see you again my dear she said. The pallbearers carried the casket to the hearse afterwards. Everyone got in their cars and followed it to the burial site. Gena and Lisa stood there and watched as Mike was put in the ground. They started throwing the dirt on top of the casket and Lisa told Gena lets go. Gena walked off with her. You don't want to stay to socialize afterwards, Gena asked? No said Lisa. Sometimes you have to know when everything is over. Lisa was happy that the funeral was a success and her husband was buried the way she would approve. Kendrick tried to catch them while they were driving off but Lisa said keep driving. After seeing her husband buried, she was going to make sure that was the last time seeing Kendrick. It upset her how they didn't want Gena to sit on the family row with her. This was her husband, not theirs. I'm okay she said. I was just about to ask you that said Gena. I kind of felt like they didn't want me sitting with you. I would've sat in the back said Gena for you to have peace today. That was my husband, not theirs said Lisa. If you wanted to you could have read the eulogy. The both of them started to laugh. My mother is cooking if you want to join us said Gena. I don't want to intrude said Lisa. You're welcome any time in our household said Gena. They talked as Gena drove to her home. They pulled up in the driveway. The boys ran outside excited saying, hi Miss Lisa. She hugged them and asked them have they been good boys. They replied yes mam we have. Gena's mother Mary came out and introduced herself. Lisa and Mary hugged and seemed to act like they've known each other forever. Mary introduced her inside. All Gena could do was smile. She knew that getting to know Lisa was a good idea. They all needed someone to lean on. What did you cook asked Lisa? Mary told her sweet potatoes, collard greens, cornbread, fried pork chops, with a gallon of southern sweet tea. That sounds delicious said Lisa. I haven't had anything like that in a very long time and I'm starving. Gena and the boys set the table while Lisa and Mary sat and talked. Lisa told Mary how Gena was treated at her husband funeral. It's okay said Mary. Thank you so much for standing up for my baby and everything you believed in. Okay everyone dinner is ready to be served said Gena. Everyone sat at the table in the kitchen and ate. Lisa looked around as Mary and Gena laughed and talked.