Medicine Cat Culture

This part of the guide will detail the culture of which we see Medicine Cats preform, and the tasks they are given by the clan as well. This part will also give the medicine cat code, as it is apart of their culture.

Medicine Cat Code

', A medicine cat cannot take on a mate.

', A medicine cat cannot have kits.

', A medicine cat will never let personal feelings in the way of his or her duties.

', Medicine cats are outside Clan and Clan rivalry.

', A medicine cat may be trained as a warrior before a medicine cat, but medicine cat can not be a normal warrior.

', Medicine cats are outside Clan rivalry, but they still must learn basic fighting moves.

', A medicine cat must be able to interpret signs from StarClan.

', Medicine cats cannot reject an injured cat.

', A medicine cat must do everything in his or her power to save a sick or injured cat.

', A medicine cat will give her or his life to save a cat.

Brief History and Overview

Medicine cats have been around for a very long time, but were an outlandish subject among the early clans. Thanks to Mothflight- who discovered the moonstone- this role was brought to light. The medicine cat role is crucial to every clan, as they are the ones who take care and nurture the clan's health. Medicine Cats are highly respected by all clan members, and are almost regarded as a higher rank than the Leader. Medicine cats are tied directly to starclan, and are sometimes almost regarded as vessels of the dead. 

There are many cases of apprentices/warriors becoming medicine cats after a life altering injury, which is a special case amongst the clan. Usually a medicine cat apprentice is chosen through signs from starclan by the medicine cat. 

Tasks and Duties

There are many tasks besides healing that a Medicine Cat does, as they are a large part of  upholding the clan!

', Knowing all of the herbs and store a supply of them in their den.

', Treating wounded and sick cats 

', Assisting Queens whilst they are pregnant, kitting, and nursing them. 

', Check up regularly on the health of all clan cats.

', Visiting the Moonstone/Moonpool/Sacred Site every half-moon to communicate with starclan. 

', Interpreting prophecies and signs from starclan and sharing them with the clan leader. 

', Upon the death of a leader, accompany the deputy to the sacred site to receive their nine lives. 

', Training an apprentice to become the new Medicine Cat of the clan. 

', Bearing the knowledge of basic battle training. 

', Visiting their ancestors when in a crisis and needing advice. 

Tools

Medicine Cats use a variety of tools besides herbs, all deriving from nature!

', Stone - There are usually a variety of stones within the medicine cat's den, but there is always a larger one that has a flat surface. This is used almost as a desk. There are also stones with dips in them, almost like a bowl, that can be used to mix herbs.

', Beech Leaves - Beech Leaves are used to carry large portions of herbs due to their size.

', Ivy Strands - While Ivy can also be used as an herb, it's strands can be used to tie together bundles of herbs.

', Natural Niches - Medicine Dens are usually deeper than the rest of the clan camp, and the walls of them usually have rock walls. These rock walls normally have niches- or small shelves and dents- in the wall. These are used to store herbs, and keep them fresh. 

', Springs - As said, medicine cat dens are deeper than the rest of the clan camp, and this can result in small freshwater springs. If the clan is not near a water source, this is a good source for it. Rocks and Shells can also be used to bring water to cats.

', Sticks - Sticks can be used as a multitude of things, such as mixing rods, or for a cat to chew on when feeling immense pain. 

Meetings and Starclan

Medicine cats are close with the other medicine cats of clans, and can have friendships with them. Due to tradition, every half-moon, medicine cats go to the sacred site to commune and communicate with starclan. 

Starclan is always a part of the Medicine's cat life, and they can always reach out to a cat, though they only tend to do this through cryptic ways, which can be frustrating. A medicine cat's life can be rough, but starclan can help in times of need. 

Note - it can be possible that cats who do not believe in starclan can become medicine cats, but they usually need an apprentice to help with the starclan stuff.