𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏

scream for me

scream for me.
chapter one

Thank god for Ray Bans. The repetitive flashing lights of all the cameras following my every move would've blinded me by now if it weren't for the sunglasses. "Out of the way! God, can't you people get a life?!" Tatum's death grip on my hand tightens as she screams at the press, shoving her way through the crowd. Woodsboro High still isn't even visible from here. Then again, I can't see much of anything with all these flashes.

"Serena! Serena!" At this point, the shouting just sounds like white noise. I did my fair share of screaming and crying over the weekend before showing my face at school on this super cheery Monday morning. I feel like I've already grown numb to it all.

"Is it true you fled from the house and left Casey to die?"

"Who was the man on the phone?"

"Did you murder Steve Orth out of a jealous rage?"

"We're about to take a fucking math test, so if you could get the hell out of our faces, that'd be great!" Nobody seems to even notice the petite blonde forcing her way through for us. "She also shits diamonds in case anyone wants to stick around for that!"

For the first time since the incident, a small grin forms on my otherwise lifeless face. Ever since news broke about what happened, Tatum has been by my side every second of the day. We were friends before because of cheerleading, but she's quickly growing to be one of my best friends. Everyone treats me like I'm made of glass, like I'm going to break any minute. Tatum seems to be the only one who treats me like a normal human being.

"Hey, hey, hey!" I hear a deep voice shout over the low rumble of the press. Tatum's boyfriend Stu effortlessly pushes a few reporters to the side before strongly pulling both of us into his sides. He keeps a firm grip on my waist as he guides us through until we make it through the front doors to the school.

"Thank you, babe," Tatum lets out a sigh of relief, wrapping her arms around his slender waist.

"Well they were getting way too close to my girl," he says in a playful tone before leaning down to give her a kiss.

I remove my sunglasses, immediately squinting at the brightness of the hallway. Stu turns to me, a smug smirk forming on his face. "Ah, the girl who lived."

Tatum smacks him on the arm, making him wince a little. "What?" He asks innocently.

"Go to hell, Macher." I roll my eyes at him and turn to leave. "I'll see you in class, Tate. But please leave the dog at the door." I hear Stu let out a loud bark as I make my way down the hall, and it takes everything in me to not turn around and clock him.