𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟔

The next week is relatively low-key and uneventful. For whatever reason, I've received no calls or surprise visits from the killer, or "Ghostface" as the media likes to call him. I'm not complaining, since I finally feel like my life is getting back to normal. My life is everything it should be at my age — dread my life from 8am-2pm, practice and prep for halftime after school, occasionally tutor Billy, and have sleepovers with Tatum and Sidney on the weekend.

Uncle Ted had called earlier in the week to say his business trip will last a little longer than originally planned, and insisted he would hop on the next flight home if I needed him.

It's now Friday, and practice is running later than usual. The football team will usually swing by and watch us practice after theirs ends.

"Alright, one more time!" Coach yells, clapping encouragingly. "Tighten up on your form while in the air, Becca."

Saying 'one more time' is coach talk for 'do it until you get it perfect.' Tatum and I share a side glance as we get into our starting form. The next game is tomorrow night, so it's only natural for the coach to demand everything be perfect.

We run through the cheer, dance, and stunt all in under two minutes. As soon as I'm thrown up by my bases and hit a pike, it feels like I've been punched in the gut.

I come crashing down into a cradle, my body making a loud thud as I come in contact with my group. My backspot Allie lets out a grunt as my shoulder blades slam into her chest.

"Are you alright?" Teagan asks as she and the other base lower my feet to the ground.

"Yeah," I wince, putting a hand over my stomach. "I'm okay."

"Darling," Coach calls out, motioning me over. She studies my face for a moment before deeply exhaling. "You doin' okay?" I nod, placing my hands on my hips.

"I'm fine," I assure her. "Want me to run through it again?"

"I need your eye," she says, looking at the rest of the team as they grab water. "Something isn't right."

"Last time!" I shout, earning a few groans from the girls. A couple of the football guys start whooping and hollering, earning a nasty look from me and half the team. Hannah, on the other hand, blows a kiss their way. Gag.

I watch the first stunt group carefully, having a feeling they're the ones messing up. Just like Coach mentioned, Becca isn't tight enough. "Stop!" I yell, walking up to her group. "Bring her down."

The bases lower her down as she looks mortified. I try smiling warmly at her to ease her anxiety. "High-V, please." She raises her arms into a V form with her fists bawled tight. I lightly hit her arms, which are easily movable. "I shouldn't be able to move your arms this much," I explain. "Tighten up every muscle." She breathes out and nods, and I can see the poor girl is trying her best. I hit her arms again, only this time they barely budge. "Much better." I nod in approval and move onto the next group. Hannah's already arguing with her main base.