"Did you know he was going to do this?"

"Yes."

"And you're just going to continue to let him?"

"I kenned ye were trying to stop with this nonsense?"

"That's not the point, Ma." Edgar growled.

"Mr. Higgs is a grown man and can make decisions for himself. It's quite clear who he wants to be with and it's not our job to get in the way. We've already discussed this at length, Edgar."

He sighed. "Right... It just seems so bold, you know?"

"Well, as much as I agree and dinnae necessarily approve, Mr. Higgs doesnae want bastard children running around in the dark about their unknown inheritance, and I agree with that decision. The poor bairns who may be out there now having to go through this without a help in the world... An he can choose how they come to be and with whom, then I support that. It's for the bairns."

"If you say so."

"Dinnae let on that ye ken about the issue and show yer tail. We've got a dinner to get through. And think about what I have to go through? I get to sit at the table and watch first hand." She said with a shudder.

Edgar smiled and pat her hand. "It'll be alright, Ma."

"Aye, an I keep stuffing food in my face, I willnae say something I will regret. I'll leave ye to it then, lad. By the by, ye're doing a fantastic job."

Edgar beamed at the compliment as they left so that Edgar could listen for the door.

*********************

Once everyone arrived, dinner was pleasant with very few hiccups or awkwardness. The conversation was casual and luckily no one ended up going on strange subjects that would have most likely caused controversy and argument. Even being the odd one out (with no one to couple with) Merida felt included in all conversation, even between Higgs and Elizabeth. Once dessert was served, the men and women split up for some after dinner drinks and gossip, for once having enough people to do it.

*****************

"Gretchen mentioned that ye made some cookies for Mr. Higgs. Did he like them?" Merida asked.

"I'm quite sure he didn't. He was trying so hard to be nice that it was obvious how terrible they were." She said with an embarrassed blush.

"I tried to do that with Jami once when we got married. He loves crème brûlée, fell in love with it when a French diplomat came to visit. It seemed easy enough." Margaret laughed. "I burned a hole right in the center and practically charred the thing. I was so upset that Catherine had to console me for hours because I felt like such a failure. Jamison just laughed and hugged me for trying."

"I haven't tried to do anything like that for Boston yet. By the way everyone is speaking, maybe I shouldn't." Fuchsia said, seeming pensive.

"Since ye live below us now, I can pop over and help ye learn a few dishes. It's nice to be able to cook at least one thing for yerself." Merida said.

Elizabeth gasped. "Merida, you should have a cooking class for the ladies!"

"Huh?"

"I'm sure there are many young ladies looking to snag their man during a ball or small gathering. Why not have them be able to give small sweets to their men of choice? Win them by their stomachs, per se."

"I dinnae ken the ladies of the ton would be interested in learning how to cook when they already have a cook to cook for them. No offense but most young lassies here are not aware of their servants enough to care."