Chapter 5

Meme stared out at the setting sun. The broken bridge had stopped all chances of them driving straight to riverside. They were almost there, Meme could see the tunnel, it was so close yet out of his reach. Blaza had crashed the armored truck and you would think it would survive that, but no it was broken. Plus it wouldn't even be able to crossover. It wasn't like the bridge was cracked and unstable, No it was broken. The entire middle part was missing and a bunch of abandoned cars piled on each other wouldn't have even allowed them a safe passage even if the bridge wasn't broken. Meme breathed in and saw Nadwe wrapping bandages around his arm; he was still extremely quiet. Nadwe finished and pulled out a small journal. Meme had seen him write in it after he woke up from being knocked out by hitting his head on the wall of the car. Meme walked over and leaned over to see what Nadwe was writing. The handwriting was messy but still  legible, the words were scrawled around what looked like a rough drawing of a hunter. The hunter looked familiar, when Meme realized it had a similar build to Socks, skinny arms, muscular legs and the hood, long hair waving out. It wasn't colored but it had the slight curl of Socks' hair.

"That looks really good Nadwe," Meme observed. Nadwe slammed the notebook closed and looked up at Meme hovering over him.

"T-Thanks," Nadwe stuttered surprised to see Meme standing right behind him. "I-it's just a rough draft." He said as he reopened the notebook, revealing the full page to Meme. Nadwe lifted the book up to Meme, and he took it. Setting it on his arm he began to read. The first part of it was talking about the hunter behavior.

'Aggressive, but it waits for a survivor to be alone to pounce on it like prey. Almost like a predator, like a hunter. CEDA was not known for their name-giving skills but this is a perfect name for this special infected.'

Meme laughed and handed the notebook back to Nadwe who took it and flipped to another page and began writing once more. More words slowly filling the page. This time Nadwe started drawing a  different special infected. Meme slowly started to recognize the slumped version of the Witch. Nadwe continued scribbling the drawings into the page, sometimes going fast and moving slower, adding details. Meme decided to step away and Leave Nadwe to finish that. He walked over to the edge of the bridge  at the part that collapsed. The large gap in between both sides of the bridge was a small creek that probably was filled with much more water than it had now. It seemed like the world was falling apart, because in all honesty it was. Burning and Broken buildings, crashed and ruined cars, Collapsing and cracked bridges, the world was going to hell faster then Meme could ever imagine. Meme noticed something bright red through the mist, he walked over to the edge of the bridge and leaned over the side of it, close to toppling over the side and falling into what could only be assumed was death. Meme leaned over and saw a ladder with chipped red paint. An easy way to climb out of the small ravine under the bridge. He twisted around to see a similar red painted ladder on their side of the ravine. A way to get down safely, and a way to get out. He could feel a cheer rise in his throat. He slipped off the side railing on the bridge and ran over to where the armored vehicle was smoking. Blaza standing next to it staring into the engine, looking for a way to start the vehicle even though there was no way to get across the bridge. If they went back they would just end up back at the area Meme had deemed Crash course, Which if they kept going that same direction they would just end up going back to Mercy hospital, and that was a memory Meme didn't want to relive. An unwanted image of Socks' broken body lying at the bottom of Mercy hospital appeared in Meme's head, he winced and blinked the idea away. He ran over to where a weakened Ally was talking with Laff, both of them looked up as Meme approached, Ally smiled weakly at him while Laff dipped his head and gestured for Meme to sit with them. Meme sat on the ground next to Ally who coughed and rubbed her eyes.

"Are you feeling alright?" He asked, Ally laughed and shook her head.

"I'll be on my feet soon enough though." She attempted to assure him she broke out into another coughing fit. "I don't know what Laff wouldn't do without me around." She rasped in a teasing tone. Laff glanced at her and laughed quietly, trying to hide the fact that he was worried sick. "I know that look anywhere Meme, what'd you find?" She continued talking after a few seconds of silence. Meme bit his lip containing his excitement and he finally blurted out, "I found a way to get to the other side without the bridge!" Ally looked at him in surprise and shivered, still smiling.

"Sorry- It's chilly." She apologized.

"Probably the fever." Laff muttered, removing one of his gloves and placing the exposed hand on Ally's forehead.

"You have a fever?" Meme asked.

"Don't worry I'm not going to become a witch and claw you if you get too close" She joked, Meme bit his thumb and attempted to laugh at her joke. Finding no humor in it. He stood up and stretched out his injured foot gasping as a jolt of pain burned through his leg. "What's wrong, Meme?" Ally inquired seeing the look on his face.

"Nothing, don't worry about it-" Meme breathed out, he shook his foot out and sighed in relief as the pain slowly faded out. "I'll be alright when we get moving."

—————-
Much foreshadowing in this chapter

I'm back to the daily grind grgr

Words:1030