Chapter 7: The Art of Love and Treachery

The rest of the day passed relatively quietly, as Cassandra kept her nose stuck in her book and out of the way. It wasn’t until dinnertime that she saw Elias again. The family gathered out on a terrace for cocktails before dinner every evening, and Cassandra would have to interact with them.

         “Hello, Maria,” Cassandra said, smiling cautiously. She had always loved Constantine’s wife about as much as she had loved Constantine. All the times she had spent with Constantine were usually also spent with Maria present. She had been very much the quiet, docile Greek wife, but she and Constantine had doted upon one another. The frail old woman smiled back, but before she could answer, her son interjected furiously. “Don’t you dare address my mother! You hoodwinked her husband!”

            After glancing at Elias, Cassandra looked at Maria again, begging her to understand, or at least suspect the truth. Maria smiled at her once again. “Elias, your father had every right to do with his money what he pleased. If that included leaving money to Cassandra, then we must accept that.”

            Elias scoffed. “And then why didn’t he tell anyone of his decision?”

            His mother frowned a bit. That was a point. Constantine would have told her of his plan – so why didn’t he? It made no sense.

            “You see?” Elias said triumphantly. “Don’t let this little gold-digger hoodwink you into forgiving her.” Maria looked sad, but did not contradict her son again. She rarely did, and Elias never expected his mother to fight him on anything.

            The family went through to dinner and ate the exquisite meal in uncomfortable silence. At least silence was preferable to having the same argument yet again. After dinner Cassandra went directly up to bed, under the excuse of jet lag. They had arrived on the island this morning and she really was exhausted. Physically, emotionally, you name it. It took her a long time to actually fall asleep though, and even when she did, she slept fitfully.

          In the morning Cassandra had to force herself to get out of bed. She blamed it on jet lag, but she knew she wouldn’t be able to go back to sleep anyway, and the only thing she was dreading was seeing the Christokis family again downstairs. She dragged the process of getting dressed and looking presentable out as long as she possibly could, but eventually she had nothing left to do, and she opened her door with trepidation. She didn’t spot anyone until she descended the staircase.

          Frank was in the entrance hall, hanging up on his cell phone when spotted her. “Good morning, Mrs. Christokis.”

                “Morning, Frank.”

           “In this house, I am Mrs. Christokis, Mr. Barrymore,” a voice said quietly. Teresa, Nikos’s mother exited the library. Frank looked confused and apologetic all at once, and at a loss of what to say.

          “Still trading on the Christokis name then, are you?” A voice challenged from one of the corridors leading off from the hall. Of course, Cassandra thought, Elias would have to meddle even in a simple ‘good morning’.

            “Good God, we were simply saying good morning. I usually go by Cassandra O’Shea, but with the business about the divorce, Nikos’s office calls me Mrs. Christokis. And by the way, good morning, Teresa, Elias.”

           Cassandra nodded politely to her parents-in-law and went into the breakfast room, where Thea was sitting.

          “Cass! Do you want to come with us after breakfast? We’re taking the scooters around the island.”