Chapter 2: The Missing Musician

I'm back.

I'm back here in the 18th century.

But why?

I studied Tayden Pharrell's expression. It was neither a face that held enthusiasm nor frustration. Although, it was indeed a face that held emotions which was an exact replica of mine. Waking up to this time period feels like I have returned to my second home, like a confirmation of my doubts whether or not the memories I made with my friends are real. And they are real. That fact alone does send me a wave of relief. . .but I can't say that I'm glad to be back nonetheless.

Because coming back to a world that is already considered to be my past must mean that something is wrong, terribly wrong.

Tayden must be thinking of the same thing. That's why he doesn't know what to say or how to react towards this unforeseen predicament.

We sat in silence for a couple of minutes, just permitting everything that had happened so far to sink in. I would notice his worried glances directed at my injuries and his mouth tremble with hesitation, but I paid no mind to my past life body. I was busy racking my brain for answers, for clues. It's been a long while since I last felt the cogs of my intellection whirr alive again.

I can't say I missed it for sure though—this mystery-solving detective mode.

Think, Rosette. Think. I internally chided, ignoring the attention-seeking itches of the open wounds all over my body regardless of the temptation to scratch them until they bleed even more. Think about how you got here by rehashing both present and past realms.

For the present realm, I was at the indoor swimming pool with Lisa and my other batchmates. Halfway through my strokes underwater, my chest began to have a vicious ache.

I winced, suddenly remembering the unwanted sensation of Rocco's sword impaling my insides, blade gnawing greedily into flesh and bone. I managed to prevent that destined death from happening at least, but the vividness of my warning nightmare remained. Did they catch that bastard? After I returned to my timeline, I didn't give a care about him anymore. However, now that I'm back here, looks like he's also back to being one of my biggest concerns.

I am not happy with this realization.

For the past realm, I escaped the hooded riders while tightly holding onto someone's hand. And then we leaped off a cliff, dropping to cold rushing river below. After I returned to my timeline, I figured out that it was Agustus who rescued me.

He was always the one who did the rescuing.

I licked my dry lips, tasting a bit of blood. With opened palms, I blankly stared at my rumpled fingertips. Everything subsequent to the jumping part is as empty as a white canvas. What happened after we crashed into water and rocks? Where is Agustus? Why isn't he here beside me?

Did I let go of his hand? I fret. We must have separated as soon as I became unconscious.

But he should be fine now, right? He should be at the palace with his brothers, right?

If that's the case, then why won't this foreboding feeling go away?

"Rosette," a gentle and careful voice spoke. I glanced up at the prince in a haste, snapping to my senses.

"We have to go and inform the others of your return. This calls for an importunate meeting at the Round Table." Tayden Pharrell said, standing with a clear objective seen in his gaze that was directed at the path where he probably came from. It was only then when I noticed his vanilla-colored coat over my shoulders.