zero!

Lights Are On Tom Rosenthal

0:14 —|————————— 3:13

↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

Alex always had a fear of drowning. Ever since he was a kid and slipped under the water of their family bath. Ever since he felt the gushes of water invade his ears and channel down his nose to fill his lungs. Weighing him down like his organs had turned to cement as he sunk into his unconscious mind. That feeling, invaded his dreams, his thoughts, like a virus he couldn't expel.

This feeling was worse than that feeling.

This feeling, as he lay helpless against the tarmac outside of some sort of hospital, with his head caved in and ribs inverted, unable to breathe without the feeling of sandpaper scratching down his throat. Waiting for someone, for anyone, to notice that he was there.

"Holy shit!" A voice called out, he could barely hear them, like his ears were ripped from his head, "Someone get me a gurney!"

One second, he felt nothing, and the next a thousand hands were touching his skin all at once, poking and prodding and pushing, and he couldn't breathe. God, he couldn't get a single breath into his lungs, and he was trying, he was trying so hard. Trying to answer their questions to listen to what they were saying, trying to stay alive. But he was exhausted, so, so exhausted.

"What have we got?", another voice.

It seemed like a never-ending list, "Young male with significant blunt force trauma to the skull, possible pneumothorax, at least 3 broken ribs, unresponsive but conscious

"The ceiling was white, perfectly white like someone had recently repainted it. And it was bright too, he couldn't see much. Like he was looking through a peephole in a door, he could see a blonde figure. He had two different coloured eyes, pretty eyes, they made him tired and the urge to relax in on himself was much stronger.

"Hey, try not to go to sleep okay?" Alex couldn't move his head to nod but he could barely make eye contact and that was enough "Hey, can you hear me?" The man placed his hand on Alex's arm comfortingly, "Can you tell me your name?"

"a- al- a" Alex stuttered out in a desperate whisper

"Alex?" the man suggested smiling as Alex attempted to move his head to nod.

"Okay, Alex, you're going to be just fine, understand?" The man comforted him, Alex couldn't respond anymore. The world had started to escape him, slipping from beneath his feet and soon he was closing his eyes and letting it.