A Warm Welcome

"Young Kamado! Is that you??" The unmistakably cheerful, yet shocked, voice of Rengoku calls.

After Tanjiro and Genya step away from each other and Tanjiro turns to face him, Rengoku lights up even more, if that's even possible, before his face falls.

"You're here early, why? What happened??" He questions as he jogs up to the two, glancing back towards the blushing and flustered Genya, who's turned his head away, before back at Tanjiro.

"I was too tired and hurt to want to go back to be healed up after our fight with Kibutsuji... but we... we won, Rengoku-San. We did it," Tanjiro responds quickly, smiling at Rengoku. "I... held my head up and did what I needed, like you told me."

Rengoku's smile slowly returns to his face as Tanjiro talks, then wraps his arms around him.

"We are all so proud of you, Young Kamado. I take it you succeeded in finding a cure for your sister?"

"Yes, sir! I did. She'll be able to live the rest of her life as a human, like she deserves," he tells Rengoku, happily accepting the hug. "Your father and brother miss you... I'd write Senjurou letters when I got the chance if I knew I couldn't visit him."

"Thank you... I've missed them very much as well. You did all I could have asked of you. And you did it well! Just like one of my students should! Just like one of my family would..." Rengoku ends off the final sentence with a sure smile, indicating he genuinely means what he says.

"Thank you! Thank you, Rengoku-San," Tanjiro chokes out as he sniffles back tears and slowly steps back from Rengoku, wiping his eyes with his sleeve.

"We should all return to our village! We already have a place prepared for you, Young Kamado. And there are so many ready to see you again and ask questions. And you must meet my Mother! You will love her!"

Tanjiro beams at Rengoku, nodding.

"Yes, I'm sure! And I'd be happy to meet her," Tanjiro assures, wiping some tears away again.

The three of them begin walking, Tanjiro telling them of all the things he's seen and experiences he's had, sometimes having to pause and collect his thoughts, tears spilling down his cheeks, to which Genya would always gently squeeze his hand and remind him he's safe.

Rengoku, of course, listens closely, smiling the entire way, happy to hear these stories now, since he never got to be by Tanjiro's side, which he won't deny, does upset him, since he felt so responsible for the boy.

Rengoku had seen Tanjiro as a younger brother, so leaving him behind had hurt him, but he knew that was the choice he had to make, otherwise Tanjiro would have never been able to go on and defeat Muzan.

"Did anyone ever kill the Upper 3 demon? Akaza?" Rengoku questions, curious who, if anyone.

"Yes. Giyuu and I were the ones to kill him... he almost killed us in the meantime, but we won that fight. I wasn't going to let anyone else die to him, not like you did," Tanjiro answers, looking at his hands, vividly remembering the fight. "Giyuu was the one always by my side until now. I wouldn't have made it as far as I did without him. But I wouldn't have been so motivated without you, Rengoku-san! I changed my hand guard on my sword to the flame from yours."

"Did you now! I am so proud of you! You clearly did what I asked and set your heart ablaze!"

Rengoku laughs some and places a hand on Tanjiro's shoulder, patting it for a moment.

"I did my best to, Rengoku-san. I'm glad I was able to meet your expectations!"

"You went way past them! And I'm sure you will be absolutely delighted to spend time here with the rest of us! It's a wonderful place to rest," Rengoku assures him with a smile. "Now! Who would you like to see first?"

"I really don't mind! Just as long as I get to see my friends again!"

"Of course! I know they will be happy to see you again too!"

With that, the three continue to a small village of sorts, lit up with fireflies and lanterns and a beautiful glow from a borealis filling the sky, reflecting off a pond nearby, fed by the stream.

There is a fire crackling nearby, and the sound of Mitsuri and Obanai chatting next to it, laughing and enjoying themselves. Once in sight, Tanjiro can see the two of them leaning into each other as they watch the peaceful fire.

His first night here will be absolutely amazing, and yet overwhelming, and it's only early into the night so far, but he's happy about that.

—————

Sorry about that wait. Yours truly has been sick and depressed (we'll ignore the chest/back/arm pains like that's not worrying at all :) ). Also because of that, lemme know if I made a mistake, since I haven't proofread it 😅

Anyways, I'm sure you can tell who's all up next!