3:2 Hopes and Fears Part I: Old Lady's Last Run

Mobile Shipyard – Eternity – in orbit over Caliburn

Day 407 Since the Fall

Admiral's log

We finally arrived at Avalon a week ago. Our journey has ended, but now the hard work starts. With almost three million survivors in our fleet, we need to relocate them to the planet. Unfortunately, even with the best efforts of Commander Krasner there's simply not enough room in cities for everyone. So far 11 cities have been completed in total with another under construction, which can hold approximately 550,000 people right now. Tent housing units were relatively easy and quick to setup though, and there's roughly enough for 1,500,000 people to use and give them a roof over their heads. With some extra volunteers, a few hundred thousand shockingly, the rest of the civilians should be setup in tent housing within a few days. A large portion of the civilians have also volunteered to help with construction on cities to hold everyone, and with the large amount volunteers we could have all the civilians living in their own apartment or house within a year. Thankfully, after spending a year on ships, I think people will not complain about the new accommodations inside tents. I will not lie, my head feels like it's gonna explode: there are so many things to do. Admiral Thorn decided to stay on Olympia so that he could monitor the process of new technologies being developed there. Admiral Sounders will monitor the civilian relocation to the planet and also the construction of habitat buildings. The temporary police force we made in recent months on our journey to Avalon are also being setup on the planet to contain anymore violence and crime as needed. They will get the necessary supplies, headquarters, and stations they need to become a legitimate police force on Avalon. Once the president arrives with Galactica's fleet, we can look into installing the government on Avalon, and the police force will be likely be divided into subdivisions as necessary and legitimatized once the new government is put into place.

The situation in orbit, well I won't say it is critical but it is a mess; so many ships in one place, and of course not all of them follow the rules we set for their safety. We had a few accidents, and unfortunately during one some people died. All because some impatient captains didn't follow orders. We also created a landing zone about twenty km from Avalon's capital city where all ships landed, which will likely become a starport in the future.

Large shipyards like Eternity, Unity, and the Libran shipyard, were ordered to stay in orbit of Avalon's moon Caliburn. The massive mobile shipyards will form a core of new colonial shipyards. Mobile dock Invictus remains at her post in orbit of Avalon, together with Olympia. The support dock recovered from Caprica has been incorporated into Olympia station to increase the repair and construction facilities of the station. Meanwhile, Hera and Aurelos stations are on their way to the nearest asteroid belt with eight tugs moving them into position near one of the bigger asteroids. Lucky for us the belt is motionless and has no rogue asteroids buzzing around, so there is no danger of collisions with the station. The three Hephaestus docks were assigned to Sanctuary to continue repairs Invictus started on her. She was moved closer to Caliburn, so the smaller docks will have support from Eternity and Unity. It will take a very long time to fully repair Sanctuary, and in the meantime she is but a mere shadow of her former self. While some ships will stay in orbit, such as those civilian ships that cannot land, they will stay near the Caliburn moon where the shipyards are going to be created. The civilian mobile docks will join the other mobile docks in conducting repairs on Sanctuary.

All military ships have formed a defensive blockade around Avalon. Although smaller groups will be all around the system, they will all be in range for in system jumps if necessary. Battlestars were moved forward in the defensive blockade and smaller ships were placed all around them to provide an adequate protective screen. There's also the former Caprica and Aerleon planetary defense grids in orbit of Avalon; 12 stations each with the power of a mercury class Battlestar, and 72 smaller anti-missile/raider satellites. With them and the new defense grid under construction, nothing shall pass through Avalon's defenses.