A New Hope

(2230 hours)

The group ventured out of the dungeon and into a new area. Kato stepped out onto the rocky outcropping and heard a faint song in the distance. He kneeled on the outcropping and took out a pair of binoculars on his side and gazed through the scopes.

"That's Yuna!" Eiji shouted, "She's close!"

Eiji pushed forward but Kirito caught his belt and pulled him back to the outcropping.

"Oi! What are you-?" Eiji shouted before Kirito shushed him.

Eiji calmed down and asked what the problem was. Kato pointed out the five afasys guards Eiji would've run into if he had jumped. When Eiji mentioned that they were there because her singing attracts them, Kato couldn't help but let him go. He pointed out a safe route along the bluffs and told him not to be reckless. Eiji nodded at Kato and left the group. Once Eiji was out of earshot, Kato ordered Kirito and Asuna to tail him just in case he needed help. They acknowledged the order and followed behind Eiji. Kato kneeled and placed a rappel anchor on the ground. He hooked himself onto the rappel anchor and dropped down to the ground. He took out the Glock 17 in his holster and reloaded the magazine.

"Down and dirty, just like we've been doing," Raz's voice echoed in Kato's mind.

Kato charged into the first afasys and kicked their rifle upwards. The Afasys let go of their rifle and pulled out their pistol. Kato quickly took out his wakizashi and jabbed it into the gut of the afasys. Sparks and blue blood sprouted from the open wound when Kato yanked the cold blue steel out of the gut. He kicked the afasys to the side as two afasys took aim at Kato. The red bullet lines appeared from the barrels and intersected with Kato's body. He somersaulted backward and shifted his normal grip to a reverse grip on the Wakizashi. The first bullet line ceded as the bullets started to fire. Kato slashed in the air and deflected each bullet away from his body. Sinon and Zeliska watched in awe.

"Kato," Zeliska commented, "He's acting like a different person."

Sinon chimed in, "I've never seen him fight all out like this."

The gunfire ceased and Kato continued his attack. He went up to the next afasys and shot them in the knee and gut before shoving the pistol under their chin. He pulled the trigger and the head of the afasys showered the blue blood over Kato's face. The body slumped down and shattered at his feet. Kato saw the next set of bullet lines intersect with his body. He rolled forward and picked up the rifle the second afasys was using. The salvo started when Kato recovered from his combat roll. The player took cover behind one of the afasys and used it for cover. The bullets killed the third afasys but it didn't injure Kato. Kato pushed the body to the side and raised the rifle. He took two clean shots to the head and the remaining two afasys fell. Kato tossed the rifle to the ground and wiped the blood off of his face.

"To the left!" a voice sounded.

Kato moved his left foot back and saw a pair of Hooligans approaching. He took out his pistol and pointed it in their direction. He heard another pair of footsteps coming in from the right. He turned his head and saw another squad of afasys coming after him. Kato raised his sword and prepared to fight for the end. In the corner of his eye, he saw a pink figure run across the area and towards the enemy squad. Kato caught a slight glimpse of the costume. It was all-pink and they wore a cap with bunny ears on top.

"LLENN?" Kato questioned.

He turned his attention back to the Hooligans and saw Pito and Kureha holding them back. Fuka and M stood on top of the rock ledge and provided fire support from a distance.

"Go, Kato!" Kureha shouted, "We'll keep them back!"

"Thanks. Rei, come on, it's just now," Kato mentioned.