Chapter 1

Fifteen years later

Carina ducked beneath two men carrying a wooden platform. The village was crowded with men, women, and children. She clutched her basket closer, trying to keep the berries from spilling out.

She glanced over at the three young women who were exiting the seamstress's shop. They all carried white gowns——a symbol of purity in Tredia. Carina wanted to roll her eyes. Most of the girls her age were anything but pure.

Carina sighed in relief when she reached her home. She disappeared inside, smiling when the squealing of her two little brothers reached her ears. The twins ran over, each of them latching onto her legs. "Boys!" She exclaimed, laughing.

She knelt, hugging her little brothers. Carina loved them very much. They had been a joy in her life, especially when Alec wasn't around. Carina stood back up. "Now I need you two to let me go."

The twins released her, both wearing crooked grins. Carina looked around the small home. "Where's mom?" She asked them. They both pointed to the back door that led to the garden.

Carina made her way to the door, opening it. She stepped outside, the scent of flowers and dirt hitting her nose. She smiled, spotting her mother kneeling beside an oak sapling. Carina knelt beside her mother.

The woman looked over at Carina, a soft smile on her face. "Hello, my dear."

"Hello, mother." Carina answered softly, helping to pack the dirt into place.

"Shouldn't you be getting ready?" The woman asked.

Carina shrugged. "I find the whole thing a bit of a bore, really. Who's to say that I'll even be picked?"

Her mother frowned. "Carina, you have to attend. It's a direct order from the King."

Carina sighed. "Must I, really? The Prince has hundreds of young women to choose from. I would be his last choice as a bride. It's a waste of time for me to even go."

"Regardless"—her mother stood up, wiping her dirt-covered hands on her apron—"you must be there. Now come on."

Carina stared at herself in the mirror. She let her fingers graze over the soft white material of her dress. The modest neckline made the gown feel more secure on her body. Carina smiled softly. She had to admit that she liked the dress and how she looked in it. Her hair, brushed and sprayed with cinnamon perfume, lay elegantly across her shoulders. The silver circlet adorning her head was a gift from her father before he died. She bit her lip, smile gone. If only he were there to see her.

"Carina, it's time to go." Carina turned, looking at her brother. He smiled at her. "Wow... You look amazing, Car. I may have to chase lots of guys away tonight."

Carina laughed, feeling like a weight was lifted from her chest. "Thanks, Alec."

He walked over to her, offering her his arm. "May I escort you to the main square, m'lady?"

Carina smiled softly, slipping her arm around his. "But of course, good sir."

They burst into laughter as he led her out of the house. Carina loved her thirty-year-old brother. He always carried a smile and was a natural born leader. She smiled more at the sight of the engagement bracelet on his wrist.

Alec kissed her head. "I want you to know that no matter what guy you end up with, I loved you first."

Carina laughed again. "I know, Alec." She hugged him. "You're the best big brother ever."