31. Finish the Race

A/N: Last Chapter, I sobbed while writing.

Disclaimer: First half deals with death.

Na lafz kharch karna tum
Na lafz kharch hum karenge
Nazar ke kankadon se
Khamoshiyon ki khidkiyan
Yun todenge mila ke mast baat phir karenge

Na harf kharch karna tum
Na harf kharch hum karenge
Nazar ki syahi se likhenge
Tujhe hazar chitthiyaan khamoshi jhidkiyaan
Tere pate pe bhej denge

-Kyon (Barfi)

Chapter 31: Finish the Race

Kaustub breathed his last that evening.

Akshara did not reach there in time, she was stuck in traffic and when she got there, she couldn't get herself to see the dead body of another beloved. Kaustub's mother was crying inconsolably and his father was holding her, crying with her and with them was a big clan of his family. Akshara stood with her heart so miserably down and she was short of breath, she couldn't even walk a step and console his parents. 

The bitter and loud crying was making her sick, she really wanted to get out of there or move forward, but she couldn't move. Her hand was still holding the chocolate bar she got for him on the way forward, hoping he'd eat it sneakily with her or she could listen to him telling another tale of his school days. She was breathing heavily, she did not even realise how badly she was panting because right now all she remembered was how she was standing just like this, when her parents were dead. 

Her lungs felt suddenly out of oxygen as she pressed her chest, trying to breathe but couldn't, tears spilled from her eyes and the scene was blackening out, the cries were fading and were getting replaced by the cries of her family, the screeching of her sister, the loud sniffing of her brother. The panic within her was bubbling and she felt her legs to weaken, any time she could fall and she still couldn't do anything, there were people around, noises of chatter, wailing and crying, and all she felt was a overwhelming feeling of death.

Before she could take another huge breath, she felt a soft whisper on her right ear, the familiar warm voice cooled her entire senses, his whisper brought her heart to a steady beat.

"Everything is fine," the voice said, and Akshara shut her eyes, letting the voice sunk her in the depths of being okay. "I am right here, jaan." She recognised him, his voice, his endearments and especially his scent, and when he stood close to her from behind, speaking softly to help her calm down, she quickly turned and threw herself on him. 

Abhi held the girl, wrapping his arms around her as she cried, falling down on her knees. She was crying aloud, bitterly as she buried her face in his warmth, trying to speak but couldn't. Abhi caressed her hair, holding her firmly as he let her cry her heart out. She had to start enduring on such feelings other than keeping them all hidden, and what best than a good breakdown? Abhi instructed a peon to get him a glass of water and for others to move way for them as Akshara cried in his arms.