12.

𝐖𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐒, 𝐔𝐊
𝐒𝐄𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟓

IT HAD BEEN A WHILE SINCE JESS SET OUT TO FIND YELENA FOR THE SECOND TIME. since this wasn't a s.h.i.e.l.d mission, it was harder to track yelena down whilst keeping a low profile. it wasn't easy dealing with people who wanted to kill jess branigan--or vice versa--but until jess was back, her little facade of an assassin would have to work.

a quiet hum of 'i will survive' played through jess's car stereo. she was currently speeding down a highway, following a dark grey car she believed yelena was stowed away in. the driver of the car was painfully aware that jess was on their tail, and their driving showed it, shaky on the road and jolting forward when possible. 

they soon came up to an exit and jess had to think quickly. before yelena's escape car could swerve away, jess leaned out of her car window, aimed her pistol steadily at one of the escape car's wheels and pulled the trigger. the grey car spun and veered all over the highway, causing cars to slam into one another; a huge roadblock. flames burst just about everywhere and people screamed and cried. it was dreadful.

seeing an opportunity, jess sprinted out of her sports car and made her way to the grey suv. first, she pulled the driver out, looking around the passenger side to see nothing. then, she swung the back seat door open and peered inside, seeing yelena clutching her side, hand drenched in fresh blood. 

jess swore to herself and carefully grabbed yelena out of the vehicle. she carried her bridal style to a safer spot by the side of the road. 

"yelena? hey, talk to me," jess pleaded, pulling off her hoodie to wrap around yelena's waist. 

yelena coughed, some blood coming up. "who- who are.. you?" she asked hoarsely. 

"it's jess, remember?" jess carefully tied the hoodie around yelena's wound, applying gentle pressure to try and lessen the blood loss. 

yelena smiled weakly and curled into jess. "agent bing, hey." 

"hey.. i'm gonna get you outta here, okay?" jess stroked yelena's hair, "but you gotta stay with me, alright?" 

yelena mumbled a quiet, "okay," and attempted to stand up. jess's arm was still around her, providing a sort of crutch plus a great amount of comfort.