Chapter 12

Aelan was laying on his stomach with his arms crossed and his head laying on it as they waited for Veronica to come and help him. Nate had given him some sort of tea and it made the pain much more bearable. He could still feel the ache, but it wasn't as terrible as before.

"How you feeling?" Nate asked.

Aelan looked up. "Okay. Does it look as bad as it feels?"

"Yeah, it's pretty gnarly back here... I'm sorry."

"No worries."

"How can you say that?"

" Will it matter if you take the blame?"

"I guess not..."

"Where's Hael?"

"He went back over to Leon. For someone who hates him so much, he seems awfully concerned with him."

"Hael is stupid. He's always been reserved about Leon. When you left, he didn't want to deal with it and it was easier for him to blame Leon... Nate, can I tell you something?"

"Anything."

"I think Hael saw what I saw back then."

Nate frowned. "What do you mean?"

"It's vague and I may not be remembering it right, but when you slipped out of my hands and got sucked into the fairy ring, I was stunned, staring at the broken mushrooms in complete shock and fear. A few seconds passed and I felt Hael touch my shoulder. He asked me if I was alright and what had happened to you... but then he said something else. He said, "Did it get you?""

"'Did it get you?'" Nate asked in confusion.

"Remember that when I was pulling you, that tree came to life?"

"And then you let go."

"Yeah..." he said sadly, looking away.

"I'm not mad, Aelan."

"I'm sorry though... if I had just been strong..."

"Hey," Nate said, putting his hands on his brothers'. "Seriously, it doesn't matter anymore. Anyone would have freaked out if a tree suddenly came to life."

"But that's the thing though, you and I only saw that tree... Right?"

"Do you think that Hael's not our real brother?"

"No, not that. I just don't think he's as oblivious as he is acting. He knew what happened to you but then when I went crazy, so he blamed Leon to keep from being crazy too. If he agreed with me about what I saw..."

"Yeah..."

"What do you mean?" they heard Hael say loudly from the group with Leon.

"I'll be right back." Nate said. He walked over to the couch as Hael stepped away. "What's going on?"

"Why don't you tell him what you told me?" Hael spat.

"Hael-"

"Go on! Tell him!"

Veronica sighed. "Nate, I'm afraid that I can't do much more for Leon."

"What do you mean?"

"The thorn we removed went in deep but it had a few tricks so to speak. It released a toxin in Leon's body and was also edged in tiny serrated teeth. When we pulled out the thorn, it... it tore up everything in its wake."

"So... what are you saying?"

"This is beyond homeopathic medicines or pseudosciences. To save your brother, you're going to need a miracle."