{49} Wounds

Wounds
Year 839

"I got these two. You take the old one over there.", Silvia hissed, the stench of cigarettes lingering in her breath.

I was used to it, since my mother had also been a heavy smoker.

If anything, the scent felt comforting to me.

Silvia and I had been sent out to get the BSC some money for the next few months, as a way to get by.

Thus far, we'd made 128 bucks, which was quite a considerable amout to have in the Underground.

However, the money would have to be split between roughly 300 members of the BSC, so we weren't left with much at the end of the day.

I nodded, signaling the grey-haired woman that I understood.

She ran a boney hand through her choppy pixie cut, before making her way to the two men across the street.

Silvia's face had always looked quite old, as it was sunken and wrinkly.

Her eyes were uncommonly deep-set and dull and her lips were chapped and faded.

Her hair was also entirely grey already and her body appeared more skeleton than human-like, so it had surprised me to learn that she was actually only 38 years old.

It was quite young in contrast to her physical appearance.

I wasn't sure what she'd done before joining the BSC, but since she was a skilled robber, I could imagine that.

I headed over to the street where the old man, that Silvia had instructed me to rob, was standing.

I approached and quickly realized that he didn't seem to notice me coming at all.

He held a weird stick in his hands and for some strange reason he wore sunglasses.

There was no sun down here.

Never.

Sometimes, you could get a glimpse of the sunrays if you got close enough to the stairs that lead up to the surface, but that was really the only spot.

I was now pretty much directly infront of the man.

Close enough to study each of his deep wrinkles and the creases of his aged skin.

I could make out the tiny scars scattered all over his bully hands, which were still clutching the stick.

He seemed neither sad nor happy.

He was just kind of...there.

I cleared my throat, not sure why he wasn't taking notice of me in the slightest.

"Sir?"

Instead of trying to turn his head in my direction, the old man just moved his stick on the ground until he hit my feet with it.

"Ow!", I whined.

I knew I was supposed to rob this man, but I wanted to find out what was up with him first.

"I'm sorry. I wanted to see where you were.", The elder politely apologized and I frowned in confusion.

"I'm right here."

The man chuckled lightly, shaking his head,:"From the tone of your voice, I assume you're a child, right?"

"Yes?", I cocked a brow.