The Small Town (Chapter 1)

Nick drove into a small town with his old, outdated 1975 Dodge Challenger. He was passing by an old battered-up building in need of desperate repairs. As he was getting to the only stop sign visible for miles. Nick's car sputtered, then was a loud pop sound. Then the car died. Nick looked on his phone to see if there was a signal. Of course, there was no signal in this ancient town. Nick pushed his car into the small service station that also served as a gas station. Nick went inside the small service station office, rang the bell on the desk, and then sat down. He remained for five minutes till the service station owner came through the back door and greeted him.

"Hey there, Stranger is that your vehicle in the lot?" said the Handler.

"Yes, my car broke down at the stop sign at the edge of the road." Replied Nick.

"Alright, then I will take a look and give you an evaluation of the damage." He said back with a small amount of enthusiasm in his voice.

As Nick was waiting, somebody came in through the front and looked at Nick. The man sounded the bell. Almost immediately, the Owner came through the door and glanced at the man that entered through the door.

"Jakob, you eventually came, your late again." Said the Boss. "You're fortunate we have someone who was passing by and needs repairs."

Jake looks at the manager, then looks at Nick and says, "Sorry Mike, got caught up at the house."

Mike puts it off and focuses on Nick. "Nick, your car is going to be fixed." He paused for a second. "Well, the damage, it's going to cost you."

"How much will it cost?" replied Nick.

"I would say about three hundred dollars." States Mike with slight displeasure

Nick looks at his billfold and says, "I only have fifteen hundred. Is there a way I can work to earn the rest of the money?"

Mike looks a little distressed but then refocuses. "Yeah, you can, but you have to be suited for the work we have here."

Nick looks at Mike and says, "I'm qualified." [End of Chapter 1]

"Some things scratch the surface while others strike at yoursoul." Gianna Perada