Chapter 60

A horrible scream tore me from my sleep. My eyes were wide open. My hands were shaking as I jumped up and opened the door. What happened? Is he alright? Did someone break in again? Is he hurt? He didn't stop. The pain in his scream gave me goosebumps and a cold fear.

"Sangwoo?" The wood crunched under my barefoot feet when I carefully walked down. My heart was in my throat. "Sangwoo?" Was he in the basement? I swallowed. I shivered from the cold when I dared to step down there. Sangwoo was alone. He had a cutter in hand, which made me stop. He turned his head to me. His hair was strangely frayed in places. His mouth was open, making desperate and exhausted groans.

"You!" He clenched his teeth. And from one second to the next he grabbed my legs. The stairs dug into my back as he pulled me down and I wailed, pushing him away from me. I didn't even have time to come to terms with it, when his cold, strong fingers already wrapped around my warm neck. I gasped in shock. "You tried to kill me!" His grip pressed on my throat. I couldn't breathe. He pressed himself against my throat with all his weight, the stairs still digging into my back.

"Everything is because of you! You're the one who killed me!!" he shouted at me, his eyeballs bulging, the few long strands he had left falling into his eyes. He spat as he screamed, "From the start all you did was lie!!"

"Let... go," I croaked. My eyelids grew heavy. Please, just a second, just a little air...

"Why don't you beg for your life again?!! You filthy... You filthy scumbag!!" He screamed so loud I shut my eyes close. I hit him away with my arms, pushed his face away. He didn't move an inch. And my limbs grew weaker with every second.

I groaned for air. Please... I couldn't think. My mind slowly drifted away. Just... a little...

I barely heard him when he suddenly muttered, "It was because of me."

When he finally let go of my throat I coughed air, I held my hand to my throat as if that would help. My head filled with air again and my ability to think came back. Sangwoo wasn't on me anymore. That was the first thing I noticed when my senses were back. But I just couldn't stop coughing as I leaned my head on the stair.

"It was me?" he muttered again. "It was because of me?" As I finally opened my eyes he buried his fingers in his hair. "It was me," he repeated all the time, his lips trembling. "It was because of me... It was..." His murmuring turned into whispers, at some point his whisper was barely understandable. His eyes were wide open.

My legs almost buckled again when I got up so I decided to crawl. I felt a sharp pain in my back and my throat was glowing. "Sangwoo," I whispered, crawling towards him. His breath was slowly calming down. I gave him time. I waited for him to calm down. I had to calm down myself.

I knelt across of him and leaned forward. I could barely feel my toes anymore as cold as it was down here. Sangwoo had leaned against a table, looking pretty tired of everything. "Sangwoo..." My voice broke and I pressed my lips together to prevent crying. I swallowed the burning tears in my throat, then lifted my eyes to look at him and forced a smile. "H-How do you feel now?"

He didn't say a word. He didn't even look at me. "You feel a little better now, right? What were you so distressed about? I'll take care of it for you!" I really wanted to. Whatever it was that was distressing him, driving him crazy like that. Maybe there was a way I could help him. But he was still silent. All I could hear was my still heavy breathing. "What can I do to make you feel better?"

Sangwoo slightly opened his mouth and I looked at him waiting. Please, I thought. Say something finally. Let me help. He didn't. He stayed silent.

"Do you... want me to go away?" He lifted his eyes and finally looked at me behind his uneven strands.

"If I..." Yes, I thought. Yes, please, say something! Just anything. "If I knew how much I'd suffer," he said in a very low voice. "Then maybe we should have never met. If only I had killed you together with that CEO's daughter..."

Something broke in me, and I felt the sadness spreading through me. No. You don't mean that. Right? Please say you don't mean that. I mean something to you. I do, right?

"Then... I wouldn't..." Tears welled out of my eyes. Please don't... "Then I wouldn't be in so much pain." An uncontrolled sob slipped out of me, tears streamed down on my face. I broke down. I pressed my hand to my mouth but the suppressed sobs still echoed down here and made everything louder. Snot and tears ran down my hand, dripping on the dirty stone floor. If only I had killed you... If only I had killed you I wouldn't be in so much pain... It was me? It was me who caused him this pain? How?

I leaned down to the floor. I wasn't deep enough to the ground as devastated as I felt, hearing his words repeating in my head. If only I had killed you... If only... I couldn't think straight. A world has broke down for me and all I could think was, has he ever even loved me? But I knew I only thought this now. I just didn't want to accept it since his words hurt me so much. If only I had killed you... I wish I had killed you...

I only heard it quietly and it passed me like Sangwoo walked past me when the doorbell rang. He left me down here alone, sobbing, broken. Destroyed.