He's Just A Pup.

6 years of age

"Xavier, you must be careful with him, he's not as strong as you yet." Aoife stood outside the house, watching the two boys wrestle. They shared the same features, the only difference in their eyes: one with sterling gray eyes, the other with blue, just like his father.

Twins among werewolves were rare, and rarer still were twin boys. In every pair of twins, one was usually stronger than the other. Despite their differences, their bond was unlike any other.

Aoife observed them as a large black wolf approached, tongue lolling out as he panted from his run. As soon as the boys saw him, they rushed over, clinging to him, caressing his thick black fur, and hugging him. "Boys, come and let your father rest," Aoife smiled as her mate nodded to her in appreciation. The boys ran indoors.

When Cormac entered the house, he kissed Aoife on the forehead before going to the boys, kissing the tops of their heads and ruffling their hair. He then motioned for Aoife to follow him into the kitchen, away from the children.

"He's not getting any stronger, Aoife. If he doesn't, he won't make it through his first shift," Cormac said, and Aoife's wide eyes met his. Realization struck her, and she replied, "Cormac, don't say that. He'll be fine as long as Xavier stays by him. They seem more alive when they are together. You may not see it, but I do."

Cormac sighed softly. "Aoife, I understand, but..."

"But what, Cormac? The pack doctors have been keeping an eye on him and have said numerous times that he will make it." Aoife stared at him with sincere eyes, understanding his concerns but not wanting to accept them.

"I know, love, but what if he doesn't make it? How do you think Xavier will take it? They are closer to each other, and we won't be able to feel that closeness to them like they do themselves. We both already know who the next alpha will be. On their 13th birthday, I will take Xavier to be trained, as all pups do when they are next in line."

12 years of age

The twin boys wrestled each other, and Xavier usually emerged as the victor. Cormac and Aoife watched them play for most of the day. They were also being observed from a distance by a dark brown wolf, lurking near the tree line, waiting for an opportunity to attack. He sought revenge for his lost mate and was determined to claim it.

As Aoife watched the boys, she remained on high alert. Her senses tingled, and the hairs on the back of her neck stood on end. She turned to Cormac with a serious expression, her voice firm. "There's a rogue. I can sense it." Cormac, too, sensed the approaching danger, and their scent began to drift on the breeze. He scanned the tree line for any movement, his instincts urging him into action. He called for his two betas to protect Aoife and the children. He knew he had to confront the rogue to protect his family.

The dark brown wolf slowly emerged from the tree line once the family had noticed him. He faced Cormac, poised for a fight to the death. The boys were rushed into their house, and just before anything could happen, Aoife sent a mental message to her mate.

-Dè chì na h-òigridh, 's e sin a rinnidh na h-òigridh.-

Cormac understood her message instantly and knew that he had to assert his dominance as the alpha; he was being watched.

As the fight began between the two large males, the boys watched from the window, knowing their father's strength would prevail. Each yelp and clash of teeth made Tomag flinch. He ran to his mother's side, burying his face in her fur, whimpering softly. She caressed his head gently as he sought comfort. Xavier, however, watched the entire fight unfold. He knew his father was strong and could defeat the rogue, but he also understood that his father enjoyed toying with challengers before delivering the final blow.

Xavier glanced at his brother and said, "Tomag, come watch." Tomag shook his head, replying, "No, I don't like it when Father fights. I don't like the sounds the wolves make." Xavier hugged him and apologized, "I'm sorry, Tomag."

18 years of age

Although Tomag was weaker than his twin brother, he had survived his first shift and gradually grown stronger over the years. Xavier had been chosen as the next alpha, but Tomag was content with that decision. Unlike his brother, Tomag abhorred fighting—the sounds, the violence, and the metallic tang of blood. Xavier, on the other hand, relished every aspect of a battle.

Xavier had just returned from training to become the next alpha, and though the twins had grown apart, their unbreakable bond remained. They would fight to the death for each other and their family, kill if necessary.

As the brothers explored the woods together, they were unaware of the small group of rogues that outnumbered them five to one. Before they had a chance to defend themselves, Tomag had already been pinned to the ground, struggling to break free. The others cornered Xavier, forcing him to shift back into his human form, while the remaining three coerced his brother to do the same. The rogue leader wasted no time in explaining his presence, providing his own answer to the unasked question.

"Do you know why I am here?" The rogue leader spoke harshly, not waiting for a response from Xavier or Tomag. "My father was murdered by a mangy mutt when I was just a pup. You want to know why my father attacked? The tramp you called father and his little mutts raped and killed my mother while my father was forced to watch." The lead rogue scrutinized the twin brothers and noted the slight differences between them, with Tomag being slightly less muscular and smaller than Xavier. He then shifted his attention back to Xavier, while the other rogues restrained him, forcing him to watch the unfolding nightmare.

"I'm going to make you feel the pain that my father went through," the leader continued, an evil smirk curling on his lips. He moved behind Tomag, relishing the torment he was about to unleash. Xavier struggled against the rogues who held him in place, but he was powerless to stop the impending tragedy. The leader reached Tomag and, with a sinister grin, snapped his neck, ending his life instantly. "You have now lost everything—your mother, father, brother, and your life."

As soon as the rogues released him and shifted back, they departed, leaving Xavier sitting lifelessly beside his brother's lifeless body. He longed to pursue the rogue responsible and exact vengeance, but he couldn't summon the strength to move or utter a sound. The scent of death and the acrid odor of charred wood lingered in the air, carried by the wind from the direction of the pack house.

In that moment, Xavier had lost everything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dè chì na h-òigridh, 's e sin a rinnidh na h-òigridh

Also for those of you who do not know what this means it is a Gaelic Saying

What the little ones see, the little ones do.