Finding Emily Part 9 - Going Home

They had both showered and sat down to have the pizza that was delivered. At first, they ate in silence since both were famished. A few slices later, Emily decided to bring up the white elephant in the room.

"So, what would you like to know Jen?"

"To be honest Em, I have a million questions running through my mind, but I am not sure where to even start."

"How about you start by telling me what is going on between you and Bradley?... and don't say nothing!"

Emily responded the best way she could answer that question; "well, to be very honest with you Jen, I do get really uncomfortable around Bradley, but I honestly haven't a clue why that is, and before you suggest that it is a crush, I promise you that is the one thing I am very certain of. It is not a crush!"

Emily went on detailing the different interactions between her and Bradley since the very first meeting and how he also felt a weird connection or familiarity between them.

Jenni listened to her friend in awe and didn't interrupt her while she explained what has been happening, finally ending with what transpired downstairs after Bradley dropped her off. Jenni wasn't sure what to make of it all except to ask, "And you're sure it's not a crush from either your side or his?"

"Trust me Jen, I have had a crush on someone before. It's less of a nervous feeling and more of an 'I'm incredibly uncomfortable because I feel strange around you' kind of feeling. I can't speak for Bradley, but I honestly don't think Mr CEO is crushing on the newest addition to his multi-million-dollar company."

It was getting late, and the ladies decided to call it a night. Emily had barely fallen asleep when her phone rang. It was her mom calling to let her know that her dad had fallen very ill and asked her to come home right away. Emily's dad had a heart attack and was in the hospital. She woke Jen up, caught her up to speed with the news and was packed and left for the airport immediately.

When Emily got to the hospital, her mother was seated in the hospital waiting area. She stood up to hug Emily and burst into tears explaining through a very shaky voice what had happened. While she was still talking, the doctor came out looking for her and explained to them both that he was in critical care and would be awake and ready to see them both in an hour. The doctor asked Emily to take her mom to the hospital coffee shop and get her something to eat while they wait. Her mom had been at the hospital all night and the doctor was concerned about her health as well. Emily managed to eventually convince her mother to get a sandwich and some coffee.

Emily's mom was looking at her with a look that Emily did not recognize, she then took both Emily's hands in hers with a soft smile on her face. Emily could see that her mom had been crying for a long time, her eyes were red and puffy, and her mom suddenly looked much older than Emily remembered.

"What is it mom? Dad? Is it dad?", Emily asked urgently.

Her mom spoke very softly, as she reached across the table and tucked away a stray strand of hair behind Emily's left ear, "My sweet Emily there is so much we need to tell you, every time your dad and I thought about it, we talked ourselves out of doing it. We always decided that it wasn't the right time." She retracted her hand.

"I promise, when your dad is awake, we will tell you everything we needed to tell you before. My sweet girl, I hope you do not get upset with us for keeping it from you for so long. Remember that your dad and I love you so much."

Emily imagined her mom was probably talking about some secret about her dad's health, but she had no idea how her whole world was about to change.

She tried to comfort her mom by saying, 'Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be ok mom. Don't worry. The most important thing now is for dad to get better", and she squeezed her mom's hand in hers.