Chapter 1 - New Opportunities

Chapter 1

I woke up that day ready for new opportunities. It was the first day of school and I was ready. Today was very important. It was my senior year and I had a plan.

Work as much as possible, get perfect grades, and be the perfect person.

I had to, it's what my mother wanted, to be perfect, to push my limits, and to win at life.

That day at lunch I went to the library. It was quieter there, and the perfect place for my real passion... drawing. I'm amazing at it but no one can know. Especially not my father, he wanted everything my mother had wanted. If he and my mother got what they wanted I would be a famous microbiologist just like my grandfather.

And I wasn't against that, the money would be good but... it's just... not what I want to do with my life, it isn't my passion. It wasn't my fault my mother had been a complete failure in my Grandparent's eyes! So why had my mother been so set on me being one... it's not like her parents would be happy or proud of me, they were dead.

And now, so was mother.

My thoughts were interrupted by a girl slamming her books down on the library table. She had a tight-fitting grey shirt on with a red and black flannel wrapped around her waist, her black jeans making her obsidian eyes pop. Her skin was a russet, reddish-brown color, and her black, curly hair that reached down to her armpit bobbed when she sat down in the seat across from me. She grinned, revealing a bronze glow on her cheeks, along with a dimple.

"Hey! Is this spot taken? I'm Andrea. It's my first day at this school, so I don't know anyone, and you looked nice, so I thought I'd try and say hi."

I stared into her obsidian eyes and said...

"What?"

She smiled again.

"Sorry, I guess I am rambling, it's just, my brother told me..." she took a moment to gather herself, sitting a little straighter, and pursed her lips. Then in a deeper tone of voice says, "You cannot show weakness, so make friends, and don't cause any trouble."

"I don't have to talk to you if you don't want me to, I just felt lonely sitting by myself."

I gave her a hesitant smile and said "I'd rather not, I try not to have any homework, because I have so many activities after school, so I'm doing everything I need to do during lunch."

"Okay, sorry for interrupting you"

Andrea walked away looking disappointed.

I glance up at her, and sighing, I put my book on the table and stand up.

"Wait, I'm sorry, that sounded ruder than I meant it. You can sit next to me. I don't have much homework today anyway as it's the first day and all."

Andrea looked back at the table with longing but said "It's ok, I don't want to be a bother."

I gave an awkward laugh and said "It's not a bother, please, I'd love for you to sit next to me."

She chuckles and says, "As long as you're sure."

We both sat back down and I put my books back in my messenger bag.

I prepared myself and took a deep breath. I wasn't the greatest at talking to people, so I always had to prepare myself in case I was about to get embarrassed.

"So you said your name was Andrea?"

She beamed "Yes."

I smile back "It's nice to meet you, I'm Lily."