Chapter 9

"That was sick." Zach said, as he patted her back.

"She isn't sick, what are you saying?" Rhodette asked, offering a bottle of water.

"No...that.. that's just to say it was one of a kind, thanks Rhodette." Kate replied, chugging down water as much as she could.

"Well," Amo said as she hopped on the couch, "that just leaves us one more round."

"Yeah. Wonder what that'll be." Archie said.

"Whatever it is, I'm not okay with the fact that I'm the one doing the last stage."

"Why? You literally made yourself lose the beads. If anything you low-key deserve it." Darion remarked, slightly frowning.

"Oh? So it's all my fault now? Didn't you mess up bad against the dragon and lose 3 of your beads in there?"

"Unlike you who lost 5, I've actually completed my part."

"Shut up."

"I'd be happy to."

Nobody said a word. Amelas took her phone out to test again, but to no avail.

"We've tried this so many times, just accept the fact that these won't work." Kate said.

"I know. But hey, last stage."

"We don't know."

"Well whatever Kate, how's your ankle?

"Doing fine, auto-recovery after the race ended."

"Good to hear."

"Erm, Amelas?" Meledra asked.

"Yes?"

"When will you do it?"

"Not right now. I just need an hour of sleep."

"Why? Just do it, then have all the sleep you want. Why keep us trapped?"

"Hey, don't be like that-"

"Shut up Zach. Don't let her relax because she's doing the last one."

"So she should go in tired? Do you want my child to die?" Jake countered.

"My husband's life is also on the line, Jake. But that doesn't mean I'll let your kid get spoiled."

The adults were soon all quarreling. Darion kept to himself, and Kate examined the drawers. Amelas stared at the ceiling.

"Well? Will you all stop?" Rhodette asked, creating a new tension. "It's pathetic, how you're talking back to each other when all of us are in the same spot."

"Why should Amelas even have-"

"She needs rest okay? Kate had a full unwavering sleep. Amo had a nice cup of tea. I'm pretty sure everyone had had something to refresh themselves before doing their part. I'm subject to any objections."

"I mean-"

"Can you disagree?'

"We can't just-"

"Can you disagree?"

"No.." Meledra said, admitting defeat.

"Exactly. If she needs to rest, let her." She said, making it clear.

"..thanks Rhodette." Amelas said, flipping off her eyes.

.°.°.

"Okay. I'm ready."

"Oh finally."

"Whatever."

Amelas went across the door, into the next room. It had a mahogany flooring, and the wall planks were painted grey. In the centre was a black cauldron, filled with hot water, and an ice tray with 10 spherical sockets. The walls had all sorts of charts hung, experimental diagrams and runic alphabets for explanation.