Chapter Two: Magic in the Storms

There was a time when humans and merfolk shared waters.

When we met on sandy beaches to weave vibrant little folktales and sing harmonious songs about life and love.

When merfolk taught human toddlers how to swim and humans taught merfolk their land-born crafting techniques.

When we gazed upon each other with mutual respect and understanding.

But now is not one of those times.

So why is there a human vessel approaching my father's territory?

The sleek black ship gliding seamlessly through the water bears the red and white flag of Anjord—the southern kingdom of men. On deck, humans mill about, calling orders to one another and rushing to fill those commands. Storm clouds gather above them, gray and angry. All around me, the Divine's power pulses. It's a surefire sign that She's just as unhappy about their presence as I am.

Why are they out this far?

"I was kind of wondering the same thing?" Finn says beside me, letting me know I've spoken out loud. He hovers low in the icy water beside me.

"That isn't even a fishing boat, so they can't use the 'we were just gathering food' excuse."

Finn shrugs. "It isn't our problem, Ari."

Ignoring him, I narrow my eyes at the ship. The boundary between our land and theirs lies somewhere between us, an invisible line drawn in the water. How many times has that limit been pushed? Have the humans crossed over without us knowing? Their tendency to push limits is the reason why we have to keep a patrol going at all times.

"How long have they been here?" I muse, pushing my hair out of my eyes. "Where's the guard?"

Finn disappears under the water for a second, and the water pulses with his descent. When he resurfaces, he says, "Just a bit to the east, circling back around the northern border now."

I nod. This late in the day, it makes sense that they'd be off in that direction. Did the humans know they wouldn't be here?

"Let's just go home," Finn whines. I glance back to see his nose scrunched in displeasure. "Your dad said I could stay and eat with you guys tonight. Your sisters always serve the best steamed seaweed. I don't want to miss it."

I roll my eyes and nudge him with my elbow. "Go on, then. I'll meet you there."

"Um, yeah, not happening. Last time I left you unattended with a ship full of humans, you were almost caught and carried off to Anjord. We either go back together or not at all."

"Then I guess you're going to be late, because I'm staying to see where they go."

Finn groans and swims in an angry circle behind me, his hands crossed over his chest. I ignore him as best as I can while my hands fiddle with the bag strapped across my chest. Its metal buckle is starting to tarnish in the salt water, so I'll have to replace it soon. That means trading with the humans in Snejorn, though, and they're never happy to see us. We don't have a history of war with them, thank the Divine, but our conversations are far from pleasant. Maybe I can convince Papa to buy me a new one from the pirates...

Lost in thoughts about my bag, I almost miss the ship turning towards us. If the water hadn't moved slightly, rocking me like a buoy, I might've dismissed the movement and went back to thinking. By the time I look up, she's facing us.

"Finn," I say slowly, drawing my dagger out of my bag.

"Yes?" He stops his nervous-swimming and floats to my side. "Wait, are they...?"