05.

This doesn't mean anything

Saturday morning came along

Saturday morning came along.  I was sitting in Starbucks waiting for Noah to show, but he didn't. He was ten minutes late, ten turned into thirty, thirty turned into an hour. I knew there was bad traffic so I waited about two hours. Then I figured he just stood me up. It was all a joke with him and his friends.

So I packed up and went home.

He wasn't at school Monday and Tuesday. I wondered if something happened to him. I was afraid to ask his friends, so I asked a teacher and she told me it was personal information.

I sighed and left the classroom. Did I do something? I thought to myself. I wished I could text him but I didn't have his number or even his email. Not that he checks that. The only people I could ask were his friends.

I go over to their table at lunch. I look at every one. They all stop talking and look up at me. "Yes?" Rebeca asked. Of course, my stomach starts hurting.

"Um has... anyone seen Noah?" I fidget with my ring. I focus on my breathing. Rebeca and her friends laugh at me. Some of the football team laughs too. I was about to walk away when Austin and Sofia stand up grabbing their stuff.

"Where do you sit?" Sofia smiles up at me. I point to the corner table in the room. They walk over and find their seats. This was all new to me.

"Noah is taking a few days off." Austin says. Austin looks at Sofia. Sofia shakes her head and mouths 'tell her'.

"Tell me what?" I ask.

Austin sighs and tells me, "His mom passed away on Friday." My heart shatters. It hurts for him. The same way I felt when I lost my grandma.

"Oh." Is all I say. I fidget with my ring. I was about to ask when he will be coming back, but I see him enter the cafeteria looking for someone. His eyes land on mine and he walks over toward the table.