twenty-three.

ETHEREAL | 18
"AREN'T YOU A LITERAL SOCIOPATH?"
A NEW HOPE

"I WANT TO KNOW EVERY DETAIL ABOUT this trip," Caroline orders, "Do not spare a detail or else there will be consequences

"I WANT TO KNOW EVERY DETAIL ABOUT this trip," Caroline orders, "Do not spare a detail or else there will be consequences."

Natalie avoids eye contact with the headmistress and on both sides of her, Hope and Josie do the same. Lizzie, who was on the other side of Hope rolls her eyes but straightens her posture as she takes on the role of recounting what happened.

"Josie told me she was coming and so I sent her my location. They came and I gave them a tour. Then Afternoon Enrichment happened. Andi called out Hope and started talking about how the planets had aligned or whatever and she was going to rip Natalie's heart out. That upset Josie, who snapped her neck, and then we ran."

"There were witnesses?" Caroline asks.

"A few," Hope replies and Caroline sighs as she looks at the four of them.

"Josie-"

"I'm sorry," Josie interrupts, "I wasn't thinking, I just acted. I let my emotions get the best of me and I made a terrible mistake and I'm really sorry."

"It's my fault," Lizzie states, "If I had just listened to them when they said to leave then none of that would have happened."

The twins share a look, both wearing apologetic expressions. They could never stay mad at each other. Not truly.

"It's not true," Hope states, "Andi was a fraud. She was running a fraud camp because Lizzie reverted right back to her old self when we got back in the car."

"I think it's true," Natalie says softly, "Jonas, he told us about this when we first met him. I was born to balance nature, to cancel out Hope. Nature never intended to have two tribrids and my mother knew that. That's why she wants me to kill Hope."

Natalie glances over at Hope, "But it's kind of like the merge. Nature was deciding on which one of us was good and which one was bad. Light and dark. You're the good and I'm the bad so I have to die."

"No one is dying," Caroline orders.

"Exactly," Hope answers, "There are no circumstances and I mean absolutely none where I would kill Natalie."

"We know that," Caroline states, "But if this Andi is right. If there is some sort of prophecy or nature is attempting to balance itself, then we need to look into it."

"Please don't mention this to Bonnie," Natalie pleads, "She just got engaged and she and Enzo are planning their wedding and I don't want her worrying about me."

"Natalie-"

"Please," she pleads, "I can't do this to her. I can't – not when everything in her life is finally going right. She deserves to have her moment."