11. Never Again

11. Never Again

"He left me because of me. Because he deserves to be loved the way I loved you."

Mitch opened and shut his mouth repeatedly, trying to find the words to reply.

He felt guilty for the fact that he was downright elated to hear those words come from Scott's mouth.

But then it hit him.

Loved. Past tense.

"Why... didn't you tell me?"

Scott laughed. It was empty, almost resentful. "I told you every day for like... fifteen years."

Mitch could feel his argument on the tip of his tongue. He bit it until the spiteful words were reabsorbed.

He wasn't ready for this conversation to become so deep.

Not yet.

Mitch returned the following morning, refusing to let Scott think that he was being abandoned again. Even though the rest of their conversation had gone... tensely... yesterday, Mitch was filled with the unfamiliar need to push forward despite the discomfort.

It was refreshing, to feel something powerfully enough to want to hold on to it again. It had been so long.

He had steered the conversation back into platonic territory. He had always been good at keeping Scott there, despite wanting so much more, deep down. And then he had gone home, feeling a familiar fluttering of butterflies in his stomach that only Scott had ever been able to bring out of him.

When he arrived, an older woman answered the door.

"Hello there!" She exclaimed, happily. "How can I help you, sweetheart?"

It hit Mitch then, that he didn't like the idea of these strangers answering Scott's door without knowing who could be on the other side. Scott was hardly in a state to defend himself or his home, and this nurse looked like even Mitch could take her.

But she interrupted his train of thought with her kind smile. "You're Mitch."

He nodded, surprised. "There's a photo of you two on his mantle. Come on in, love. He's finishing up his physical therapy."

Mitch nodded and complied, following her into the house, ignoring the quickening of his heartrate at the idea that Scott still had pictures of him. 

"My name is Amy Carlson. You can just call me Amy. I am one of three nurses who you'll likely be seeing around here for the time being. I will be here weekdays, Nurse Sam will be here for nights, and Nurse Leah will be here on weekends. If you have any problems with the other two, they report to me, so let me know and we'll get it all squared away." she teased with a wink. She turned in the hallway, pausing them in their tracks. "All kidding aside, they're my best staff. So your friend is in good hands, okay?"

Mitch nodded, overwhelmed at her kindness. He could feel it seeping from her pores. "Thank you, Amy."

"My pleasure, sweetheart. Only the best for someone as lovely as your friend, in there. He's an absolute doll."

Mitch's heart swelled at the sound of her compliment towards Scott. "You have no idea. He might be an actual angel."

She smiled as they approached the guest room that Mitch had found Scott in the day before. The door was shut. "Here we are, dear." She knocked and opened the door.

Mitch was horrified at the sight.

A man was hovering over Scott where he laid on his back in his bed, staring up at him with tears in his eyes. The man's eyes snapped upwards at the intrusion, his hands on Scott's shins.