Epilogue

Author's Note: Please see A/N at the end. Thanks for sticking with me. 

Epilogue

They walked slowly around the block, as they did each morning at this time.

The sun had hardly risen yet, and it was Mitch's favorite time of day.

"Bench!" Scott rejoiced happily, and moved cautiously towards it.

Mitch couldn't help but laugh as Scott lowered himself carefully to sit. "It's like you don't sit on it every morning, with how it surprises you each and every time."

Scott looked up at him, his eyes twinkling with happiness. "It's a good bench!"

"You're a good bench," Mitch retorted, sitting beside him.

"That makes zero sense, but thanks for the sass, I guess."

"Do your stretches. Ten on each side."

Scott complied, stretching each leg straight outwards, flexing his feet, and holding them there for several seconds before lowering each one, controlled and meticulous.

Each time Scott did this, Mitch was left amazed.

It had been three years since the accident, and they were walking around the block each morning.

Scott was walking.

He remembered the day it happened, almost two years ago, like it was yesterday.

-----
Mitch entered the house, balancing four large grocery bags within his arms haphazardly. One strong gust of wind could derail this entire exercise.

He nearly fell onto the kitchen island as he let the bags go onto its surface. He looked up to find Scott leaned up against the kitchen counter, with his arms crossed and a teasing smirk on his face.

"It isn't funny. It's these dumb ,heavy vitamin drinks you make me get every damn week," Mitch whined with a frown, but then realization hit.

Scott was leaned up against the kitchen counter.

Scott was standing.

"Scott, what the hell are you doing, standing when I wasn't home? You're going to..."

"Wait there," Scott interjected, holding out his hands before Mitch could approach to steady him by the waist.

Scott looked thoughtful as he took his first step, like he was making his brain speak to his left leg. The leg complied, and Scott stepped forward, his hands at his sides casually. He didn't toddle, or teeter, but he moved very slowly. 

He repeated the action eight more times before stopping in front of Mitch. He leaned down, kissing Mitch chastely. "Reward."

"How...?"

"It's been months in the making, love. Why do you think I've been so secretive in my PT sessions?"

"I thought you and Luke were just having hot, passionate sex," Mitch replied casually with a shrug.

Scott lifted an eyebrow. "That was an option?"

That earned him a smack to the chest. He rubbed at the point of contact with a smile.

"Okay, but let's get you sitting down, again. You just standing here is making me nervous, like your knees are gonna give out at any second." He pulled out one of the kitchen island stools and Scott complied, perching himself on it. "I'm so proud of you."