- E L E V E N -

Creaking door hinges alerted you of the opening hatch. Todoroki entered quietly as if trying not to disturb you. His eyes were somewhat unavailable, glazing the floor as he sat by your side.

Aguni, who had escorted him, produced four nutritional bars from her pocket and tossed them into your laps.

"Four?" you questioned.

"You guys look like you need it."

You inspected the items.

"Thank you."

She lowered her softened gaze momentarily before lifting it with regained stiffness.

"Don't thank me. It's my job to keep you alive. I'm only fulfilling my duties."

You felt as though she was challenging you to accuse her of kindness. You chose not to.

She excused herself promptly, leaving you two alone. Todoroki inhaled in preparation to speak. He deflated in hesitation for an instant but repeated the previous action and forced the words out.

"I think I did something bad."

His voice was dry and fearful. It made you nervous, but you didn't have to ask him what he had done.

"I took his hand. He offered it, and I took it."

"What did you agree to?"

You spoke cautiously, easing information from him the way one coaxes a stray dog into their arms, careful not to scare it off.

"I- don't know... but I'm sure of what he wants now. I had my hunches before, but it couldn't be anything else. He wants to hurt my father, maybe even kill him."

You froze. This was big, bigger than either of you.

Don't freak out. Be stable for him.

You swallowed hard.

"Assuming that's true, kidnapping you must've been a method of accessing your father. I bet he wants an alliance. That's why he's trying to get you on his side by digging up the past."

He nodded and responded, "The scariest part is, at one point, when he had me on the ground... it was working. For a split second, I was angrier at my father than I was at him."

He looked up at you with intense terror, his focus shifting between your pupils.

"Y/N, I don't want to believe him. I- I can't."

His pleas for reassurance were clear. He was desperate for protection from not only the man but also himself, and he was turning to you.

You cupped his shoulders before bringing him into your embrace. His body curled in on itself within your arms, head tucked under your chin as if it was the most natural thing in the world. Despite initiating the act, you were surprised at how easily he gave in.

You picked up a gentle rocking motion, swaying your collective weight and lulling him into some sense of security. Your eyes shut, and time slowed. This was the most comfortable you'd felt since you arrived.

You just need someone to stay.

Minutes later, you noticed a subtle tugging at your shirt. Glancing downward, you saw his fist latched onto the fabric at your hip, keeping you there. Your clasp around him tightened, and you rested your cheek on his hair. Beneath the clinical scent of the issued soap was his personal aroma, natural and almost undetectably sweet.

You migrated to the wall, laying your back against it with him still clung to your chest. You were holding his bicep, thumb stroking the hot skin, when he reached for your hand. He dragged his fingers across yours before lacing them together and setting them down on your waist.