Fate Won't Let Her Perish

Disclaimer after being examined by River's evil scientists: I do not own Marvel, just River Dale.

River totally blamed the scientists for her current predicament. I mean, blast her with an atomic-bomb strength, and look astonished as she gave them the middle finger? Then panic and poison her? Well, she couldn't exactly get them back, seeing after the last attempt to kill her had somehow landed her in front of a-

Oh my stars and garters, she thought, copying Beast when he got shocked.The large mansion, standing proud and tall, just like that, could not be there. She instantly thought they had given her some weirdo thing that made her see things, because there was no way she could be standing on fresh green grass, feeling the breeze blow her auburn hair into her face and smelling the fresh air for the first time in who knew how many years. The mansion sure hadn't survived the Sentinels. She'd seen it go up in flames right before her eyes. But her unexplainable healing factor would cancel out any drugs in her, so she was actually seeing it. It was actually there.

She pinched herself, just to be sure, and yelped a bit. No, she wasn't imagining it. Had she travelled in time sideways somehow? Well, the pain felt real, the breeze felt real, and the ground felt real. She concentrated. Her skin rippled, the pale blue of it momentarily shifting into a darker brown color. Her powers responded! She was here. She was free!

But any fantasies she had was cut short by the jab of pain in her neck. Oh crap. She had forgotten to remove the inhibitor collar that prevented her from using her powers too much. River slipped into reluctant unconsciousness, and the last thing she heard was a strangely familiar voice calling her name.