Surprised

"Pleaseeeee?" Bobby Drake whined, widening his eyes.

"No." River replied, not looking up from Lord Of The Rings. "I will not help you steal Logan's bike so you can joyride over the lawn."

Bobby pretended to sniffle.

River ignored him, although her lips were beginning to curl. She had bagged the shady spot beneath an oak tree, and she wasn't going to get up.

Bobby gave her the puppy-dog eyes.

River sighed dramatically, and placed the book on the grass. "Fine, but if Logan catches you I will say I had nothing to do with your ridiculous schemes." she warned before following the cryokinetic mutant into the garage. This timeline was so different from her dystopian one, and so peaceful, that she often expected a Sentinel to loom over her, brandishing a spear. The fact that nothing attacked her or that she didn't constantly need to be on guard was jarring.

The garage of Professor Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters was filled with a assortment of cars and motorcycles painted all kinds of colours. Bobby headed right for a sleek black one. River knelt on the stone floor next to it, extending one adamantinum claw from her right hand and plunging it into the slot. Her claws were thin and spindly enough that it worked, the engine roaring to life. Bobby threw one leg over the seat and pulled himself on, a ear-to-ear grin threatening to split his face. "Thanks, River!" he yelled as he drove the motorcycle out the garage.

River smiled just a tiny bit before she started coughing in the cloud of smoke. When it cleared, a hand landed on her shoulder, and the mutant girl caught an all too familiar scent. She stiffened and whirled. It couldn't be...

"Hello, my daughter."