Peiskos

Noun: the feeling of enjoying the warmth from a fireplace. 

(dedicated to queen alicia and her husband ethan y)

 It only took her a few minutes to work it down to the last seconds. By this time, the fire had engulfed half her room. The smoke alarm was screaming and the fire almost touched Everlys foot. Alarmingly calm, Everly patted out the flame and stood up.

She quietly exited her room, bringing with her a simple winter coat. It would be cold where she was going. She estimated 40 degrees or lower. She made her way to the garage, where her mothers Tesla stood. The fire had started to creep up on the garage in the minutes Everly stood there, making the Tesla shine in the firelight.

She never could figure out where her mother got the money to buy such a luxurious vehicle. It was a pretty car, but not practical. She snatched her dad's keys to his rusted old ford. She stopped before exiting. Silently, with a bit of malicious pleasure, she watched the Tesla get swallowed by the flames. The corners of her mouth twitched, but she turned and left.

She walked into the street, barely noticing the people who had gathered around her house. Her mother called her name, but everything was muted. She stopped and focused when she saw her dad leaning against his ford. She wouldn't be able to sneak away. A complication in her plan already. Not one that can't be fixed though. Everly pressed the car alarm and dropped the keys. In the mayhem that followed, no one seemed to notice the small girl walking away down the street.