Bernard Cares

Mindy now lived with her older brother.

Mindy now lived with her older brother despite not wanting to, despite not liking to .

Mindy now lived with her older brother rather than her aunt who raised her and the young elf felt her life just went to fire in a handbasket, though she wouldn 't say that out loud any more than she would ever say that bad word, jinglesnap.

Her aunt sent her, being that Mindy recently graduated, telling her she needed to get to know Bernie. "Bernard," Bernie said when he picked her up at the station. "Nobody here calls me that."

She opened her mouth, wanting to ask what he did, yet the fact he wasn 't a toymaker elf.

"Look. I know that you're disappointed I'm not a toymaker elf. Let's try and get along."

He took her to his house then—the house that once belonged to their parents when they were alive, yet her room. Bernie who hated being called Bernie said something about her getting to do whatever she wanted to the room, as it had once been her nursery, the only change being that he 'd replaced the crib with a bed and the infant toys—they'd gone with her back then.

She stared, wondering if he even wanted her there, but didn 't dwell on it and instead went to bed.

The smell of cooking woke her up and she stepped out of the room, rubbing her eyes. "Bernie."

He didn 't correct her, setting a plate of food on the table. "It's not much."

Mindy stepped over, frowning at what looked like a rather large breakfast. "You aren't eating."

"I've got to get to work. I wanted to make sure you had something to eat before I left."

"Because I'm an obligation."

He stared at her then, not saying anything. "You're not. It's because you're my sister."

"You—" She paused, looking at the rather large breakfast. "This is a lot?"

"It is?" He frowned. "I'm not—I'm not really good at this. Of interacting with other elves outside of work. But you knew that."

"Did I?"

"Anyways, I'm off." He tossed her an item. "If you need me—and please only use it for an emergency—you can get in contact with me with this."

Mindy frowned, looking at the toy she held in her hand, a bit confused.