xxiii. Belonging

John closed the space between himself and Ruby until they were pressed together, the palm and fingers of his right hand firm on the back of her neck, his left hand roaming its way under her shirttails, running up between them on the inside of her placket. They were undressed in a minute, in less, clothes abandoned recklessly around the room, bodies reuniting unencumbered. He ran a hand along her arm, felt the ripple of lean muscle under such softness, before throwing her down onto the bed, on her knees, nudging them apart with his own.

He slipped a finger into her mouth, craving the attention of her tongue even as he pushed into her, dripping wet, feeling Ruby's hot breath on his hand, then his cheek, his chin hooked over her shoulder. She leaned back onto his cock and touched herself, lazily, looking at John through heavy-lidded eyes, rolling her hips to ride him, coax him deeper. His roaming hand moved desperately; on her hips, squeezing her ass, her breasts, clutching her chin.

Liam's words came again to John - she just loves easy - and his grip around Ruby's waist and jaw grew firmer, sinking his teeth into the flesh just above her collarbone. "Oh!" Came Ruby's surprise, her mouth perfectly round, lips swollen and darkened from John's roughened kissing.

He felt the heat pool in his stomach and buried his head into the hollow of her throat, the words bubbling up from deep within him, "You're mine. You're mine. You're mine." He repeated it even as he came, his growling transforming into a strained, pleasured whine, holding her tightly to him as the fluttering around his cock turned into the longer, clutching waves of her own release.

John lay back on the bed and stretched his legs out, pulling her with him to nestle against his side, their chests heaving, shimmering with sweat, momentarily silent. Ruby played with the dark, straight hairs on his chest, tugging gently on three or four at a time, until he seized her hand and kissed it.

"Did you mean it?" She said suddenly, pushing herself up to hover over him, her eyes searching his.

"Mean what?" He watched her eyes shift sideways, away from him, the fading flush on her cheeks bloom anew, in the scant light offered by the lantern.

"That I'm yours." A stone grew in John's stomach, pinning him to the mattress; his own eyes slid in the opposite direction, so that he was looking entirely away from her when he uttered, a little more than a hoarse whisper: "I did."

She appeared in his field of vision, beaming. "I hoped so, Mr. Marston," she said, kissing him sweetly and nestling under his chin.

John stroked her back until he felt the breaths against his sternum slow, grow heavy. He couldn't sleep, however; his body was charged, both with the runaway passion he'd felt for Ruby, and for the fear of the unknown; tomorrow's plan to overthrow Winstanley, the gold tycoon of Annesburg.

Killing was something John had put behind him; or at least, he'd thought so. And he had no doubts about the deadliness of the woman in his arms; but where she'd dispatched plenty of undead in their short time together, he wondered about her willingness to take another life, whether she ever had. It was a lot for her brother to ask of her, in any case.

John drew Ruby closer to him, suddenly protective, and heard her whimper against his chest. Sleep found him then, the honeyed smell of her hair a balm against the fetid town air, eyelids heavy with the promise that she belonged to him.

*

John and Ruby met with a waving Jasper and sullen Liam, at first light as they'd discussed, leaning against the side of the bierhalle located right next to the factory. Liam made a show of pulling his gold watch from his vest pocket, prompting the cover open and checking the time.