4

What The Fuck Are "Pogues"?

When I wake up, I forget for a moment where I am. I smell the lavender scent of the soft, silk pillowcase and my eyes flutter open to see the photographs on the dresser across the room. The Cameron family smiles back at me— well, all of them except for their son, Rafe.

Yesterday feels like a fever dream. I wait for a moment in bed to recall everything that happened. How did I end up in this bed? In some stranger's house?

I take my time getting up. I don't want to go downstairs in my rumpled clothes from yesterday and my messy hair, but I also don't want to change until I take a shower. I settle for just brushing my hair and checking in the mirror on the dresser so I can make sure I don't look like a witch. It's good enough, I decide. With my bare feet, my clothes, and my somewhat decent hair, I head downstairs.

As soon as I step into the hallway, I'm met with the strong scent of coffee and bacon. Everyone is already downstairs, dressed, and accumulated in the kitchen. I normally wake up early, today being an exception due to jet lag, but from the looks of it, my version of early is already late in the Cameron household.

When I enter the kitchen, Ward, Rose, Sarah, and Wheezie are all there. Just like last night when I arrived, the table is set with clean plates— these are much more casual— small glasses, and a large pitcher of orange juice. Over by the stove, Rose is cooking up what smells like French toast, Wheezie is snacking on green grapes from a bowl on the island, and Sarah is flipping through a magazine until she looks up and notices me.

"Hey! How'd you sleep?"

Ward and Wheezie both look over at me.

My cheeks redden at the attention I've given, but I manage to appear okay with it.

"Good," I say. I slowly make my way across the room to be closer to everyone.

Rose glances at me over her shoulder. "Breakfast is almost ready. I hope you like French toast."

"It's my favorite," I tell her with an appreciative smile.

Sarah smiles back at me, softly, then looks back down at her magazine. Ward places a hand on Rose's back and says, "I gotta go to work. I'll see you for lunch."

Rose frowns at him. "So early?"

"Meeting with the investors," he says, grabbing his briefcase and tugging on his black, formal jacket. "But I made reservations for eleven-thirty, don't worry. I'll see you then."

Rose's frown lines deepen in dismay, but she sends him a quick kiss. "Love you."

The strange feeling of coming from recently-divorced parents burns like acid in my stomach at the sight of them. Not too long ago, my parents would kiss each other goodbye before work and say things like, "Love you." It's funny how drastically things can change.

Ward raises his eyebrows at the three of us. "You girls have a good time." To Sarah and Wheezie, he says, "Make sure Y/N feels at home."

It feels weird to be included, like suddenly, I'm a Cameron, too, but it's also completely unnecessary. I'm a guest.

"We will, Dad," Sarah tells him, and then he's out the door.

Breakfast is ready moments later. As Rose and Wheezie help put the food on the table for everyone, Rose announces that she also has to run, but she doesn't explain further. Sarah, Wheezie, and I settle into the same chairs we sat in for dinner the night before. "You girls enjoy. Don't forget to clean up. Sarah, Lucia is coming later so make sure the side door is unlocked and you don't leave a huge mess. I'll be back later this afternoon, okay?"