Part Two

It had taken Doctor Gooding a few days longer than he had anticipated to have the mechanical mule back up and running, spending the time tinkering away with it to get it up to peak performance.  Sir Richard partook of the resultant intervening delay to spend time at the Club, catching up with acquaintances and with news, in particular with the newly returned Lord Redsmith, freshly arrived from Australis, where he had been Chief Magistrate at the Port Jackson colony.  Sir Richard knew him from before he had departed, many years before, as the man had been a good friend of his father's.

Lord Redsmith's arrival at the Cape Colony was the result of having been appointed Lieutenant Governor, with the view to replace Governor Mitchell when at last he retired.

"Will you be remaining in the Cape long?" Lord Redsmith enquired of Sir Richard upon their first encounter at the Club, partaking of drinks and cigars.

"For a short while, at least," Sir Richard replied.  "My good companion, Doctor Hamilton Gooding, wished to undertake an expedition out onto the veldts, to explore some pygmy ruins."

"And once that is completed?"

"We shall most likely be returning to old Albion."

"In the eventuality that you do, I may have a favour to ask of you."

"Of course, Lord Redsmith.  You have but to ask."

When all was at last in readiness, the expedition set out in the early hours of August 18th, in the cool of the early morning.  Instructions had been left behind in the eventuality that Captain Archibald Hammerman made his arrival before their return.

In addition to Sir Richard, Obadiah, Doctor Gooding and his mechanical mule, they were accompanied by a number of native bearers and guides, men who knew the north country beyond the colony well.

Before departing, Doctor Gooding had filled up the tanks in the mechanical mule with water, and fed one of the specially alchemically treated coal logs into the furnace, the exact formulae as to its manufacture a closely guarded secret by those who made them.  Each formulae differed marginally, resulting in slightly different outputs when they burned, but all provided combustion for days, requiring only top ups of water to keep the boilers running.  It was such alchemy that powered the locomotives, the aeroships, steamships and boiler-rooms of industry across the globe.

With a whirring and clanking, the pistons and gears of its legs pumping, the mule waddled on after the expedition, loaded down with a substantial cargo of gear and equipment, more than what a dozen strong men could carry between them.

For the better part of three weeks they made their way north from the Cape Colony, deeper into the wilds of southern Africus.  Initially they proceeded through the trapping of civilisation that clung close to the coastline, of roads and rail tracks, farms and villages.  Much in the way of traffic was seen and passed, both man and beast and machines.

Gradually the civilised gave way to the wilderness, where the terrain was wide and expansive and upon which herds of beasts roamed.  Few lived out in those parts beyond those native to the region.

With no cooling breeze to come off the water, they sweltered in the heat of the day, while at nights the temperature plunged.

Twice during their trek north they were forced to halt as Doctor Gooding conducted minor repairs upon the mule.  Most days they refilled its water tanks, and thrice they cleaned out its furnace and loaded it with a new treated coal log.

In time they left even the veldt behind, plunging into a region of wild forests and jungles, the abode, if word was to be believed, of the pygmies, a feral race of inhumans.  They spotted no sign of the pygmies as they pushed their way through, yet Sir Richard remained ever vigilant, his rifle resting across the saddle on his horse and a revolver at his side.  Progress was slowed with the need to clear paths at times, as much for themselves and their mounts as for the mule, which clanked along behind them beneath its load unperturbed by any obstacle.