The Day I Stopped the Apocalypse

Winner of  On Surviving Extinction   contest hosted by the BecauseDinosaurs profile!

Prompt: What happens when one of the most powerful dinosaurs awakens in a high-school senior with the sole desire to revive his race? Write a drabble (short story of exactly 100 words).

My name is Troo Don. I looked like your typical high school geek. But this was the day I stopped the apocalypse.

"Eureka!" I plugged the fizzing tachyon canister into my spacetime ship.

My garage lab lit up.

The world swirled like a trippy whirlpool. Then towering gymnosperms surrounded me.

I pointed the ship's laser array skyward—as the colossal asteroid blotted out the sun.

Boom!

Harmless debris rained down like shooting stars.

Mission accomplished.

I'd saved my kin. One of them was just nearby—a befuddled compsognathus.

Smiling, I morphed out of my puny body and flexed my claws.

Word Count: 100

Word Count: 100

· Troodon: A small theropod that is said to be the smartest dinosaur.

· Tachyon: A hypothetical particle that travels faster than light, so it would appear to move backwards in time.

· Gymnosperm: Flowerless, seed-producing plants like conifers, which were the common plants during the time of the dinosaurs. Flowering plants (angiosperms) appeared during the Cretaceous period.

· Compsognathus: A small theropod dinosaur.