Chapter II

After upon recieving Caroline Bingley's self invitation, I felt compelled to make an event of it, to show her just what the Mistress of Pemberly may do! So I organized a ball to be held on Christmas Eve. Jane, Bingley, Mary, Kitty, mamma, father, Charlotte, (unfortunately also meaning Mr.Collins), Mr and Mrs Hurst and Aunt and Uncle Gardiner will be attending, as well as other aquantinces and business partners Darcy will wish to be added to the invintation list. Beginning to write all my formal invitations took time, and after glancing at the clock, realizing I am indeed racing against time, I make haste and open my remaining letters. First, I open Kitty's.

Dear, Lizzy

How are you my dear sister, and how is Jane? She scarcely writes to anybody other than you, any news recieved at Longbourn of Jane is from your letters! However we all accept this sad state as we are all soon to be so cheery as we get to witness the birth of her first child! I must confess however, my main motive in writing was not due to inquire after your or Jane's well being (however it is equally important, just not demanding the writing of a letter), however it was because I write for advice. A terribly handsome gentleman that loves to dance and has affectionate manners desirable in any gentleman, moved into Netherfeild not but a month after Jane and Bingley moved away to Battlewood! I am terribly afraid of doing more than accepting his attention, due to our difference in social standing (even if both of my sisters are apart of two excellent families!), with Lydia's union to Wickham and the news she writes of me, diminishing my good opinion of her (excluding the fact of her being my sister), I am too shy to make my feelings clear! I hate to vex you in anyway, but you possess the knowledge of creating a union of marriage with a man of much higher rank than we were (especially in the eyes of Lady Catherine de Bourgh)! Writing this letter was embarassing, and I cannot wait to read your reply which will tease me mercilessly! However, rest assured that Mr.Churchill is an honourable and good man, nothing akin to Wickham, to the degree that even father approves and is tolerable to several hours in his company! He seems to find my company agreeable and at every ball we have both attended, he always stands up with me for a dance first! I am just afraid of procurring a notion of uninterest and pray you may help me. Father and mother are very well, and Mary is becoming more accomplished than us all! I offer my best regards to Darcy, and Georgiana.

Yours truly, Kitty Bennet

My heart warms from this letter for several reasons, Kitty is becoming a more sensible girl with good judgement in character and I can see this is reflected, no longer having a petty rivalry with Lydia and recognizing her own short comings as well as having sensible taste in men (which few months ago would have been deemed impossible by myself due to her blind fancy of Wickham)! I know this Mr.Churchill to be honourable, for if I can rely on proof of anybody's character I may rely on my father's, and Kitty is intelligent in citing him as proof for his word is absolute in my heart. I amuse myself with the thought of Mamma's reaction to Kitty marrying this Mr.Churchill who owns Netherfield. So close to Longbourn and so advantagous a match for her (as I imagine he is of equal wealth to Bingley), and my mother may be ignorant in many things, but certainly not in gossip, and her, Lady Lucas or Mrs.Philips, certainly already is aware of his yearly income! Finishing with that amusing thought, in a much better constitution, I begin my reply.

Dear, Kitty

I am pleased to report that Darcy and Georgiana are in good health, and I am equally pleased to hear mamma, father and Mary are well. Indeed, it is tempting to tease you, you know me well! However, I also must reward you with a serious reply and a congratulations, I wish you the best of luck as I can see you have come far and know that if this Mr.Churchill is as good as you write he is, than he will be of some intelligence and therefore able to see what is infront of him, regardless of one thoughtless sister, or of a small estate like Longbourn. My advice may be vexxing to hear after waiting days for a reply, but it is the best I can offer-- simply be yourself. You are a sensible, intelligent young woman that is of good spirits and humor and is handsomer than any other girl in Meryton. I pray you forgive yourself for Lydia and Wickham's actions and allow yourself to rejouice in your abilites and confidence. In this reply, I must extend an informal invitation to Christmas at Pemberly! A ball is to be held on Christmas Eve with all sorts of aquantinces and friends, but Jane, Bingley, Caroline Bingley, Mr and Mrs Hurst, Aunt and Uncle Gardiner, Charlotte and unfortunately possibly Mr.Collins, will be attending and staying the night to join us on Christmas and at church. I hope you, Mary, mamma and father will come apart of the party and join us to celebrate. Perhaps if we become aquainted Mr.Churchill shall be invited as well! I wish you well, but must attend to the other letters I have been neglected during my writing of this one.