Chapter 3

"The horse just kept running after it," Kitoha said raising a beer. "I'm telling you, it's Kanmoreu!"

Moobaek remained silent until the other finished, "the kid got away. I did find my horse, eventually."

Tagon and the others all talked speculatively about the legendary Kanmoreu.

"Moobaek had to walk till he found it," they all laughed.

Yangcha had seen firsthand how the horse literally jumped over his head. He was more irritated the kid got away. His eyes were trained on Tagon. He ushered them all out. What they ran into was another scene entirely. The jovial laughter of a moment ago was sent away.

Mugwang had chopped off the head of a dying slave, which was not totally uncalled for among the guards. Kitoha joined him where most of the other soldiers were. No one would buy a weak slave and it would only slow them down. The other slaves were all screaming and crying when someone pointed out an elderly lady.

"He has a knack for pissing people off," Tagon muttered to Yangcha. "What's going on now?"

Both men looked over as one of the guards said, "I don't think this one is going to make it either."

The yells and screams grew louder causing a commotion now. Moobaek and Yangcha moved closer, Tagon stood at the tent entrance and watched silently. Taealha moved in next to him silently watching as well.

Tagon looked at her briefly to say we will discuss this later. His father had made a move to marry his lover-tried to set her on him on this very day. There was no love for the man left in him, just a blind rage. All Tagon wanted was a father's love, but instead, he got a man who would kill him and take his woman.

Taealha would remain safe and hidden until he returned.

Tagon tuned into the commotion. It wasn't hard to see Mooqwang was at the center of it, as always.

"She is our Tribes great mother!" the slaves cried.

"So what," Moogwang taunted. He kept aiming his weapon at the woman stirring more cries.

Tagon sighed, "when will he grow up?"

Never, Yangcha thought having heard him.

The other smirked knowingly, then sighed.

A girl stood, and all eyes moved toward her when he'd raised the sword at the woman who was muttering something.

Moogwang yelled,  "What are you doing?!"

That is not a good thing to do, Yangcha thought worriedly. Something in his gut told him from the look in her eyes, that Mugwang had hit a hard line. That was not muttering, it was a chant!

Yangcha stared as he instantly recognized her. A cold feeling ran through him at her expression. He was slowly starting to realize that this one, was not like the others even more than he thought. His eyes narrowed, but he remained still. There was something in her eyes that again caused another shiver to run down his spine. It wasn't foreboding by any means, but a warning none less.

Tanya felt despair, unlike anything she'd ever felt before. She couldn't just stand here and let them kill her mother like this. It was the greatest disrespect to her tribe. It over road any fear of consequence.

These people were sick, laughing in the face of others misfortune. A thing that they couldn't even comprehend...Curse. The word came to her as if on the wind, like a guide. She instantly knew what to do. The pain of biting her finger didn't even register, and she let the blood flow and placed it over her eyes as she felt herself rise. The other two attached to her also uneasily rose with her since they had no other choice and were scared having never seen Tanya act this way.