curiosity

One Wednesday morning, it had been like any other the Firefam had been through. Everyone arriving at the station. Getting their uniforms ready. Getting ready for the big day ahead of them. Everyone greeted each other as they walked in.

"Good morning!" Bobby called out as everyone piled into the station. None of them expected Bobby to be there so early.

Henrietta walked up the stairs to the loft where she found Bobby standing by the sink looking at his phone. "Morning, Cap!"

"Eds, you good? You look awful this morning." Buck said as he walked in. Looking at Eddie who was standing by the pool table, he smiled.

It was silent. He didn't say a word he just looked around.

Eddie looked displeased by the sight of Buck. "You know, Buck. Just because I look awful doesn't mean I'm not fine. But no, I'm not. I'm in a situation that I can't seem to get myself out of at the moment." He said, looking at the floor.

Buck didn't want to get on his nerves but he wanted to say something. "Well, I want to make sure you're okay!" He kind of yelled.

Bobby interrupts them. "Hey hey now. Settle down you two. I can see where this may go."

"Cap. It's fine. I'm going to keep my cool. I won't lose it with Buck, I've just had a rough night." Eddie says, his voice beginning to break.

"Eddie, I can tell there's something that you're upset or angry about. If you need to, throw your punches at me, I don't really mind." He said. He then turned around and saw Ravi walking up the stairs to meet them.

"Ravi! My man, my man. Good morning," he had said stepping away from Eddie for a minute to give Ravi a "bro hug".

"God, what the hell? All of you seem so full of energy." Ravi looks around for a minute and sees a somewhat sad mixed with exhausted Eddie. "Eddie, are you okay?" He asks, kind of scared that Eddie may punch him.

"Guys, I promise, I'm fine. I'm fine. I just had a rough night." Eddie protests. "You guys seem so worried about me. How about you worry about yourselves?" He says, looking at his shoes.

He obviously doesn't want to talk about whatever may be bothering him. But he knows he has to let it out sooner or later. Whether it be Buck, Ravi, Chim -- hell even Hen -- he knows he'll have to let the truth out even though it may hurt.

Buck pulls him down the stairs so he can talk to Eddie privately. He doesn't like seeing his best friend in pain.

"Eddie, I'm here for you. What's bothering you?" He asks. It's just then that he realizes Chimney hasn't come into the station yet. He's usually always thereafter they get there.

"It... I don't actually know what's bothering me. I just don't know what to do anymore. Chris told me he thinks I take too many risks while on the job as a firefighter and..." he pauses to swallow a lump in his throat, then continues. "And, he misses his mom, but there's nothing I can do. And I feel so helpless because I tell my son the same damn thing every single day. I'm mad at myself, as well as her." His voice begins to break for the second time.

Just as Buck was going to open his mouth to talk, Chimney walks in.

"Morning, guys. Sorry, I'm late. Jee and Maddie didn't have a good night so I was getting them situated." He says, walking to his locker.

"It's okay Chim. Just get yourself situated and you're good." Buck says, relaxing his eyes on Eddie.

"Hey, it's okay. It's okay to not feel okay. I'm sure nobody in your family is over that yet. It's going to take a while. Just let it fade away a little at a time. It will take some time but soon it will fade away to where you only have a bit of memories left from your marriage." He pauses and looks at the ceiling. Then decides to help his best friend out a bit more.